Killing Stinging Nettles

Stinging nettles can be a nuisance to have in the garden. Killing them off may be the best answer if you can't keep their growth at bay. This is a page about killing stinging nettles.

I want something to get rid of nettles, there is a load of them. I also want to plant some flowers in the summer. Can you help?

Answers

Best Answer

Most garden sites will state that a home owner cannot buy the "killer" for stinging nettles but when I had a small farm, my son used RoundUp and it did kill the roots and all. He mowed the weeds to about 2-3 inches high and then donned appropriate gear and sprayed the area. (Made sure it was not a windy day and no rain in the forecast.) He waited for a week and then sprayed the area again. There were none left and I did not have/see any new starts for the next 5 years that I lived there. We used RoundUp Concentrate for poison ivy (followed all directions) but they now have a weed killer especially for stinging nettles.

Here is a link that has some information in case you wish to try it yourself.

www.roundup.com.au/.../weed-killer-for-stinging-nettles

I am desperate for a cheap and environmentally friendly way of getting rid of stinging nettles. Is there any alternative to just pulling them out by hand or am I just dreaming?

By ayesha christmas

Answers

Best Answer

Get rid of them? Holy cow I wish we had them! They are delish! No, I'm not kidding. Use them in any cooked dish instead of spinach. I am including a couple of links for recipes, the first one also will talk you through how to prepare them.

www.learningherbs.com/nettles.html
allrecipes.com/.../Detail.aspx

Lucky! Lucky! Lucky you!

Best Answer

The short answer has to be "no". As far as I know there is no non-chemical method of getting rid of this area of nettles short of pulling them out by hand, and that will take forever. Good luck.

My question is about a property I own in zone 4b. I have a patch of Nettles the stinging ones that grows in a Strawberry and fern area. When is the correct time to put weed killer such as roundup on them? And is there a kill product that would not kill the other plants in this area?

Chyrel from Red Bluff

Answers:

Pull Them Out

I usually suck it up and pull them out with thick leather gloves. I'm not sure, but I think they're perennials? So pulling would be really effective, especially if you don't want to hurt the strawberries and ferns, (or eat Round-up residue, ick). Be careful, though! Supposedly it's only a "seven-minute-itch", but they really make me break out. Good luck! (10/22/2007)

By Beth

Troublesome Perennials

I have done that dig up thingy several times and they continue to return. From what I have read yes they are perennials, but they also have a flowering seed that lies in wait. A good time they have said to pull them is while they are short. Only I have found that even digging up the whole roots does not help.

Seems they have a habit of growing where nitrogen is high levels and this is cause by feces from animals. So beware if dogs and cats frequently use your yard as a littler box; you may have nettles. Now why the nettles don't bother them is another question? (10/22/2007)

By Chyrel Legate

Roundup

I put Roundup on my stinging nettles when they were very tall, and it killed them quite effectively. Now I don't know if they are totally gone, because sometimes with perennials, you have to use Roundup several times before it kills the root. The best time to kill them would be when they are small and young, as they are not so robust then. I don't think you need to worry about eating Roundup residue. If you get it on any plant, the plant will die, and so you will not be eating it. It is not organic by any means, but sometimes it is the best choice for a noxious and harmful plant.

(10/23/2007)

By Louise B.

Use Them

The stinging nettles are good for arthritis. Yes, I do know it does itch like heck. I found some in my back yard and I will let it grow. It is also good to make tea out of it. (10/24/2007)

By Joyce

Roundup

The Roundup label says it is most effective when the plant is in a stage of active growth. If you want to apply it only to the nettles, paint it on with a foam brush (gloves, of course). The nettles keep coming back after digging because the life of the plant is in the network of roots. You can tell if another plant has Roundup residue if you see any dwarfing of leaves. I think the Roundup is your best bet to clear the nettles more or less permanently. Worked well for me, I had 28 acres of fenceline full of nettles and Roundup solved it. (10/24/2007)

By Kim Churchman

Eat Them

If you truly want to be frugal, you can cook and eat them. I understand they are much like spinach, cooked. Wear gloves to gather, put in pot and cover with water. Boiling takes out the sting.

By Kathy in MO

Home and Garden Gardening AdviceMay 30, 2017
🌻
🐛
🎆
😎
😷
👔

Generated 2020-05-28 10:47:33 in 2 secs. ⛅️️ ⚡️