Getting Rid of Tiny Biting Bugs

We had a chair on our porch that really was an indoor chair. I sat in it a few months ago, came into the house and felt all these bites and could see tiny blood spots. I immediately took a shower and that seemed to resolve the situation. I also threw out the chair that was on the porch.

Around the same time I had put a couch cushion outside to dry. It got left outside and that night it rained. I left it out to dry. When I finally brought it in, it was on the couch maybe 2 days. Then when I threw out the chair, I threw out the cushion as well since they were both out there at the same time.

I do not get constant biting. This last attack I believe was from me opening the couch and vacuuming. It stirred them up. If I leave the house the biting ceases and really only occurs if I have been sitting on my couch. I have picked them up, and they continue to bite. I can feel them crawling on my skin, face, and body. The ones I have caught look like black pepper flakes that are shiny or like a clear skin color that's kind of blobby. They do not break when I try to slice it with my fingernail.

The bites do not turn into bumps. The area becomes red or I see tiny blood spots. They are not fleas or bed bugs. I am noticing I'm getting more strawberries on my skin. Strawberries being the small pink spots on your skin that are often raised from the skin. I thought I was going insane till I found this site and saw a lot of others dealing with this. I believe they're some type of mite and bought Kleen Green in hopes that will work. More than likely I'll just throw out my couch.

Does anyone know exactly what they are or been successful with getting rid of them? I'd just like to talk to someone about this because it's driving me nuts and my husband thinks it's a big joke. My son who's not even 2 is getting bitten as well and that's the worst part.

If you can find the bugs, put them in a bag and take it to a place that sells pesticides. They might even be able to identify the bug by looking at your bite marks.

i keep hearing these horrific stories of horrible infestations

some ideas are

- bird mites
- morgellons (is there fibres that come out of your skin? You'd know it if you saw it)
- no see ums
- body lice
- here's more ideas www.terminix.com/.../
- there's also something called Delusional Parasitosis which means it's all in your head. I'm not saying that's what it is especially if your son experiences it too, but just so you know that if you approach certain doctors or exterminators they might peg you as this en.wikipedia.org/.../Delusional_parasitosis

I have 4 suggestions:

1. Talk to your neighbors or someone at your local government office and see if anyone has had a similar issue--they may have a very simple solution.

2. Jar up some of the bodies, seal it good and take it to the hardware store or garden shop and see if they can help.

3. Call your local home extension service and see if they can help (see link to find yours):
www.gardeningknowhow.com/extension-search

4. You could upload pictures (try to get clearer pictures of the bug) to this site (see link) and see if they can help:
bugguide.net/.../bgimage

Be sure to care for the bites so you don't get an infection. If the sites are red or warm, go to or call to seek medical advice. Do not mess with infections!

Good luck! Prayers for an easy solution!