Getting a New Puppy After Losing One to Parvo

2 weeks ago my Dachshund puppy died from parvo. I bleached my whole yard and now we have decided to buy a Labrador puppy that has been vaccinated. Is it right to buy the puppy?

By Vishal

I'm sorry for your loss. I got a puppy a few years back and she apparently had parvo before we got her. We adopted her from an animal shelter. Our vet advised us to get an adult dog with all vaccinations. Well we did and not a month and a half later she had seven puppies. I did not want her to go back to the animal shelter so we just prayed they would be fine and kept them inside until they were about a month old. They are all almost two years old now and they are quite fine.

When you get your new dog I would make sure the mother had all of her shots and was taken care of properly. A lot of people will tell you parvo lives forever in the dirt and all this but I honestly dont believe it. If your puppy that died was inside at all I suggest you you clean every place your puppy touched with vinegar (I didn't do a thing to my yard).

You can make homemade cleaning solutions with vinegar for your cloth items (couch) if need be. Obviously make sure they get their shots when theyre old enough. This is just speaking from experience. Good luck!