Getting a Puppy After Losing One to Parvo

Three months ago I lost a puppy because of parvo. After that I cleaned my house using bleaching powder. I threw out everything used by that puppy. Now I'm going to get a Goldador puppy. He got his first vaccine 11 in one. Are there any chances of parvo affecting this puppy?

The virus can live in your house six months. I would wait to get another dog.

Parvo

You have my deepest condolences on the loss of your pup. Prayers for a healing heart are going your way!

If it were me, I would talk to my vet or someone from his/her office (or my local shelter/humane officers) and get their feedback on the safety of getting another dog after losing a dog three months ago.

I know Parvo is a horrible illness and has all kinds of complications, so I would trust that they know best what works and what doesn't and time frames for when it is safe to introduce another dog into the space and things that need to be done to do this safely.

By the way, I have no clue how I got through life to this point never hearing of a Goldador! OMG...I googled them and they are so cute!!

Wishing you all the best. I hope your vet can get you on a path and plan for adoption in a safe and appropriate time frame! G-d bless you all!

Puppy still can get it and get very sick and die

I do not believe it is yet safe for you to introduce a new puppy and the 11 in one may not be sufficient to keep him safe from this virus. It has a lot to do with his first 36 to 48 hours with his mother and you cannot be sure he received sufficient antibodies during those crucial hours to keep him safe.

• You may need to let him receive his second set of shots but your vet should be able to tell. Just be sure to listen to what they say and if they say they are not sure, then that probably would mean you should wait.
  • Ad

• Parvo virus can live a long time (in the house and even longer in the yard/parks) and even with thorough cleaning it is almost impossible to remove all strains of this terrible virus.
  • Please do some reading on this subject and also about the vaccinations. I have listed several links below but there is a lot about this subject and easy to find.
  • Not every vet agrees on the length of time this virus can live but all say 5-7 months indoors and 9-24 months outdoors.
  • From one vet website: As infected dogs have diarrhea in most cases anywhere an infected dog has been should be considered contaminated. It also means it is possible to bring the virus home to your dog simply by walking where a sick dog has been and getting the virus on your shoes.
  • This means any future puppies should not be allowed in the yard until 2 weeks after their LAST puppy vaccination (full course of vaccinations).
  • pethelpful.com/.../How-to-Kill-the-Parvo-Virus-from...
  • www.preventivevet.com/.../puppy-vaccination-schedule
  • www.murraybridgevet.com.au/.../Parvovirus%20home%20cleanup.pdf

Please check with your vet before you decide on bringing this new puppy home.