AdviceGifts

Gift Ideas for Girlfriend

I have been dating my girlfriend for less than a year. What are some ideas for the first year gifts?

By Brian from east Flat Rock, NC

One of the best gifts is a memory. Take her somewhere she would like to go- a concert, a play. an exhibition at a museum (you know her interests). Take lots of pictures with your phone or a disposable camera, and then afterwards, make her an album to remember the occasion.

My daughter's boyfriend is really into fishing. She took him to a sporting/outdoor living show, and then had a tailgate meal in the parking lot. He really enjoyed it, and to her surprise, so did she. If she reads magazines, a subscription (or 2) would make her think of you every time the magazines came. You could wrap a copy of the magazine to give her.

I agree with the last answer personal is always better. Memories can't so easily be tossed aside, since you have been together for awhile your gift will be special. So making memories out of it may be something you look back on. Meaning pictures of whatever you decide to do. Does she do her nails? Since it cost so much to go to a salon maybe you could go with her to get her nails done before Christmas. Make a picnic lunch,hot cocoa something for afterwards.

Maybe go to one of the Christmas lights (every town/city has that road where they have so many lights) with hot cocoa. It would be a treat. The two of you together laughing since you would be taking pictures of which ever you decide to do, these could be what she unwraps.

Pick out your favorite shots of you both, and put in an album, or have one blown up in a frame. She'll cherish it and the date you had together.

I like the magazine idea also. I do that for my daughter. Every month she thinks of me, she would never get that for herself. Wrapping this months issue is great idea also, it will take a few weeks to start coming. I still would do a "treat" first. Money shouldn't ever stand in your way. The things you put thought and time into is what is special. Merry Christmas to you both!

Jewelry - you can't go wrong with something nice and it should be nice, but also something special. It should be something enduring and unique and personal. Go to a good jewelry store and tell them why this is special and how much you have to spend.