Ginger Cookies

I have been experimenting making gluten-free* ginger cookies and quite by accident I left off 1/4 cup of flour. They came out better, thin and crisp with tiny holes in them. If you like the taste of ginger and molasses, you will love this flavorful, cookie.

Yield: 60-70 cookies

Source: I took my Snickerdoole recipe and experimented by making some changes to make ginger cookies. They have come out delightful every time.

1. In a medium mixing bowl, mix sugar, ginger and cinnamon together.
  2. Add melted butter, molasses, and egg. Beat well with mixer until creamy.
  3. Sift flour before measuring. In a small mixing bowl, combine flour, cream of tartar, salt and baking soda. Whisk or sift together.
  4. Add flour mixture to other ingredients and stir until well blended.
  5. The dough will be soft and sticky. Refrigerate over night.
  6. Ad

7. Shape dough into 1 inch thick logs and keep logs refrigerated until ready to put on the cookie sheet.
  8. To bake, preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Preheat insulated cookie sheet until it has warmed. Spray warm cookie sheet with Pam cooking spray.
  9. Take plate of cookie logs out of refrigerator and cut 1/2 inch thick pieces and place 2 inches apart on the cookie sheet. Put the remaining logs back in the refrigerator until you are ready to bake the next pan full.
  10. Bake 7 minutes at 375 degrees F or until edges are browned.
  11. Remove from baking sheet with a thin metal spatula and place on a cooling rack.
  12. When cool, store in a cookie tin.
  13. If you want to make a cookie that is soft on the inside and crisp on the outside, add 1/4 cup of flour to the mixture. This cookie will be easier for children to handle and you can sandwich two together with peanut butter in between. That's also good. Adding more flour decreases the flavor just a tad but they are still great.

*I made them gluten free but I feel sure that using regular plain flour will come out just as well, if not better.

There is nothing more delicious than crispy ginger cookies. I'm not a fan of a soft cookie. Thank you for this recipe. I will definitely be trying it.

I made another batch of cookies for my son who also has to have gluten free. To get this thin, crisp cookie, you do need to use 1 cup plus 2 tbsp flour as stated in the recipe. My husband told me to make them like this from now on. He loves them.

I hope someone will try this recipe using regular flour and let us know how it does.

I made a batch of cookies using regular flour and they were a hassle to put on the baking sheet and a hassle to get off but he said they taste just like my gluten free and the crispness is the same.

I think when using regular plain flour, you need to add more flour. I'll try adding 1/4 cup more next time which will be a while. I can't eat these. I have to have gluten free which is way more expensive. So now we have a batch of his and a batch of hers. Just what we needed.

I've got to work on making them using regular flour to see if I can make it a little easier to handle.

I would have dibs on all those little wrinkly ones! Yum!

He ate all of them down to the last crumb.