Gluten and Wheat Free Flour Recipes

Baking without gluten in flour can be a challenge. This guide contains gluten and wheat free flour recipes.

Rice flour is a good substitute for just a portion of wheat flour. It has no gluten, so has no elasticity. If you have wheat allergies or are on a gluten free diet, you can use 6 cups rice flour, 2 cups tapioca, 1 cup potato (or garbanzo bean) flour mixed together to make a great flour that can be used in all kinds of muffins, breads, cookies, bars, etc. Substitute it in the regular recipes.

The trick is to make sure you use recipes that have eggs in the ingredients. They help hold it together so it is not crumbly. I used to buy the pre-made variety of gluten free flour, but it was expensive. Now I make more things I can eat and my family doesn't notice when I use it. They are just surprised when I take a piece.

I have found the garbanzo bean flour is much cheaper than the potato flour so I usually substitute it when mixing up the flour. It works well and has some protein. This flour is cheaper than buying the small prepackaged GF Flour in the health stores.

Source: Betty Hagman's book "The Gluten Free Gourmet" has the recipe using potato flour.

By Harriet from Lakewood, CA

If you need to bake with gluten free flour regularly, it may be helpful to remake the flour mixture ahead of time. This is a guide about gluten free flour mix.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes