Gluten Free Tips and Recipes

Category Gluten Free
If you have celiac disease your diet can not contain gluten, and many foods can be a challenge to make. This page contains gluten free tips and recipes.

Recipes

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these recipes. If you have made this recipe please submit a photo and let us know how it worked. Or, add your own recipe variation.

These are wonderful Gluten Free Casein Free Soy Free little nuggets of meat and vegetable made with a wheat free breading. They are so wonderful and healthy. They are made with aluminum free gluten free baking soda. They are just like chicken nuggets, if you happen to be choosing the chicken as the meat.

• 1 lb ground meat- pork, turkey or chicken
  • 1/2 cup Rice Chex or Rice Crispies or potato flakes
  • 2 medium eggs or egg replacements
  • 1 cup water or rice or almond milk
  • 2 Tbsp GFCFSF baking powder
  • sea salt and pepper, to taste
  • 1 cup veggies, carrots, squash, zuchinni or sweet potatoes
  • 2 Tbsp flaxseed meal optional

Here is the link for the baking soda which is also gluten free and aluminum free.

The flaxseed in this is optional. This recipe uses a food processor but I would be able to cube it and mash it if I didn't have a food processor.

1. Preheat the over to 375 degrees F.
  2. Bring a pot of water to boil.
  3. Cook meat for 15 minutes in the boiling water.
  4. Transfer the meat to a food processor with 1/3 of the liquid and puree it.
  5. Ad

6. Transfer the pureed meat to a bowl and set aside.
  7. Grind the GFCFSF Rice Crispies or Rice Chex to a fine powder with a grinder or a rolling pin.
  8. If you are doing potato flakes, do the same thing with them.
  9. Transfer the powder into a large bowl.
  10. Shred or food process the one cup of vegetables.
  11. Put all the remaining ingredients into the large bowl and mix well.
  12. Take an aluminum pie pan and line it with parchment paper.
  13. Create the meat puffs into little oblong shapes that will fit into your child's small hands.
  14. Put the little puffs on the pan with the parchment paper one half inch apart.
  15. Cook until slightly brown on top. I just watch them to tell when they are slightly brown.
  16. Remember they have already been cooked, this part is just for browning them up a little bit.
  17. Ad

Source: There is a youtube video for this as well. I am posting it here.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/R-iZXnS9SV0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Note: This recipe freezes well.

When I had to go gluten free, one of the things I missed most was ice cream in a cone. I found out that ice cream on a bed of Rice Chex tastes just like eating ice cream in a cone. It has the same crunch down to the last bite. Delicious.

Make these healthy muffins for breakfast or a quick snack. This page is about making gluten-free oatmeal spice muffins.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about thickening soups without gluten or dairy. Avoiding wheat flour and milk products when making a creamy soup can be easier than you think.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about gluten free chocolate meringue pie. When you need to avoid wheat and gluten, you can still enjoy rich chocolate pie.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

I wanted to share this link for all those interested in looking at cooking without wheat. I found it on the TACA website as one they recommend.

Link: http://www.artofglutenfreebaking.com/

This page includes gluten free meatloaf recipes. It is easy to make a delicious meatloaf without the elastic texture of grains containing gluten.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

This guide contains gluten and wheat free flour recipes. Baking without gluten in flour can be a challenge.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

This is a gluten free shortbread recipes. Shortbread is a delicious crumbly cookie that is a common holiday treat. Making gluten free shortbread can make this treat enjoyable for people with gluten allergies.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

Does anyone one have recipes for the Celiac Diet? The more I can get the better.

Answers

There's a myriad of ways to eat GF. Start small - the bread is not that delicious, so try other things first. Like:

"Lettuce-wiches" - your favorite meat, cheese, spreads (mayo, mustard...), tomato, avocado folded into green or red leaf lettuce leaves. A bit messy, but yummy!

Chocolate Mayonnaise Cake
3 c. gf flour mix (2 c. white rice flour, 2/3 c. potato starch, 1/3 c. tapioca starch)
1 1/2 t. xanthan gum
2 c. sugar
1/3 c. cocoa powder
2 1/4 t. baking powder
1 1/2 t. baking soda
Blend together then add
1 1/2 c. mayonnaise (egg free is fine)
1 1/2 c. HOT water
1 1/2 t. vanilla
Pour into a bundt pan, 9x13 in. cake pan or two layer cake pans and bake at 350 until it pulls from the side of the pan.

Carol Fenster and Bette Hagman have some marvelous cookbooks out there. Try eating your favorite pasta toppings on baked potatoes (alfredo is wonderful!). Eat your favorite salads (chicken or tuna) on potato or tortilla chips or rice cakes. Replace pasta sides with rice or potato sides. Fall in love with Mexican food. Nachos are GF!

I think that these ultra simple peanut butter cookies would apply:

1 cup peanut butter
1 egg
1 cup sugar

Mix well, put on ungreased cookie sheet in walnut-sized balls. Flatten slightly with fork dipped in sugar. Bake at 350 for 8-12 minutes, depending on if you like your cookies soft or crunchier.

I hope that I am right that celiac and gluten free diets refer to "wheat free" recipes.

This is a link to a wonderful site with loads of recipes on there. Also if you go to www.celiac.com there are loads of info and recipes there as well.

http://forums.d … orums.com/celiac

Hope this helps.

Is there a way to privately email you? Might be easier....here are some recipes I love and I use Betty Hagman's original GF flour with the white rice flour, potato starch flour, and tapioca flour blended together.

CORNSTARCH BISCUITS

1/3 C shortening
1/2 C potato starch
1/2 C cornstarch
1/4 C GF flour mix
1 3/4 tsp Xanthan gum
1 Tbsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1 Tbsp sugar
3/4 C milk
1 tsp salt

Mix all ingredients well. Roll out onto well-floured (tapioca) suface. Cut with biscuit cutter. Bake 12-15 min. at 350.

I use this for my sandwiches. However thick you cut them though will be about the thickness of the biscuit. I have just never had luck with a "loaf" bread and I have been on a GF diet for years.
-----------------------------------

FUDGY BROWNIES

1/2 C shortening or 1 stick butter/margerine
1/2 C Baking cocoa
1 C sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 C GF four
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 C chopped nut (optional)

Preheat oven to 350. Grease 8 x 8 x 2 inch pan. In a medium melt shortening over low heat (or melt in microwave). Remove melted shortening from heat, add cocoa, and stir until blended. Add sugar and beat well. Add rest of ingredients, beat on medium speed. Spread in pan and bake 20-25 minutes or until inserted knife come out clean.

Im not positive about the time to bake on this, is torn off, but just start checking them around 15 mins. They are SO good.

-------------------------------------------------

Good luck

check out this site. Steve King and Johnnie Putman (husban & wife team) on WGN night show have put a lot of information at this site. He has celiac disease. Read through it for tons of information including recipes.
http://wgnradio … 3&Itemid=249

1 egg
1 C peanut butter (creamy or chunky)
1 C sugar
1 tsp Aluminum-Free Baking Powder (can be omitted if no AL-free baking powder is available; AL-based ones give it a metalic flavor)

Mix together. Add Reese's peanut butter chips, if desired.

The dough will be pretty wet and sticky. If the mix is too wet to roll into balls, add a little more sugar or a few tablespoons of rice flour, and mix up some more.

Roll into balls -- gently. Roll each ball into sugar, and place on cookie sheet. Smaller cookies hold together better than larger ones, but need less cooking time. I go for a teaspoon of batter at most.

Bake at 375 for about 10-12 minutes, or until it turns golden brown around the edges. Bake longer for crispier cookies, shorter for softer cookies. (I do it for about 8 minutes.)

Remove from oven, but do not attempt to remove cookies from cookie sheet until they are fairly cool (when hot, they're the consistency of, well, peanut butter, but they harden as they cool).

They can also be made with hazelnut butter or other nut butters. I haven't tried it with Nutella yet, but I suspect it would need an extra quarter-cup or half-cup of sugar because Nutella is so much softer than peanut butter.

I highly recommend taking any recipe for blintzes (which some people call crepes), and substituting potato starch for the flour. I make these every Passover, and everyone adores them.

And of course, MANY recipes for meat main dishes, vegetable and fruit side dishes, and homemade sorbets and ice creams are gluten free. I've got a Cuisinart ice cream maker that I use often in the warmer months.

Glutenfreeda is another good site.

Log on to wgnradio.com and click on Steve and Johnnie (they are on the air 11pm to 5am Mon-Thur). Steve needs a celiac diet and part of their blog is about this.

ThriftyFun.com Staff0 found this helpful

My mother was recently diagnosed as being "gluten intolerant". This is making a huge difference in the foods she is allowed to eat. Does anyone know of a cookbook or website that would make finding suitable recipes easier?

Answers

There is also a bi-monthly newsletter called
Gluten-Free Living. P.O. Box 105K, Hastings-on-Hudson, NY 10706

Anonymous

Gluten-Free Recipes From Soar

found 2 sites in KingArthurs catalog. One is www.glutenfree.com and 2nd one is www.missroben.com. hope they are useful.

found 2 sites in King Arthur's catalog. One is www.glutenfree.com and 2nd one is www.missroben.com. hope they are useful.

also from King Arthurs catalog is a newsletter called Gluten-Free Living at PO Box 105K, Hastings-on-Hudson,NY,10706

Meals.com has a searchable recipe base where you can put in ingrediants that are to be excluded from the search.Hopefully you will be able to find many recipes there.
Mrs Kathy Cohen
Northfield,VT

I was diagnosed with non-Celiac gluten intolerance, which basically means I am allergic to gluten. I'm relieved to learn this disease is treatable without medication; however, I have to remove all forms of gluten from my diet.

Would anyone out there in "Thriftyfun World" be able to supply me with some basic gluten-free recipes? Mainly bread, or any meal ideas, I'm totally stumped. I recently ate oatmeal with fruit and was violently ill for 3 days (full of gluten), help!

By Kelly from southeastern, PA

Answers

http://www.reci … rch&Searcht=

Try this blog:
http://glutenfreeda.blogspot.com
Also instead of bread for sandwiches, you could use tortillas. Most tortillas are made from flour, but the ones that are sold in the refrigerator section at our grocery store are made from all corn. Another thing my husband likes to eat are rice cakes. He likes the chocolate ones with peanut butter, my daughter likes the cheese ones with pizza toppings on them and I like the salted ones with hummus. There are many different recipes using rice cakes at this site:
www.quakerricesnacks.com

I forgot to add that Walmart sells a gluten-free pasta made by DeBoles. They are sold in the regular pasta department, and the price is very reasonable. Also, Betty Crocker has started selling gluten-free cake mixes and cookie mixes. The price on these is reasonable as well, and they are sold in the same area as the other cake mixes.

My son is on a gluten free diet. Pamela's make's some good stuff, and Bob's Red Mill has some GF flour. Amy's makes a GF pizza that's not bad. Recently I picked up a package of GF Brownie mix at Trader Joes and added some extra yummy ingredients.

De Boles makes a whole line of pasta noodles. Lasagna, Rigatoni, Spaghetti, Fettucini, you name it.

There's always these links too:
http://glutenfr … ss.blogspot.com/
http://www.reci … ipes/gluten-free
http://www.csac … .org/recipes.php
http://glutenfr … rl.blogspot.com/

There's a few good cookbooks out there too.
http://www.amaz … _sl_15yynievnk_e

Hope this helps.

I am cooking for someone with celiac's disease and casein intolerance. I was wondering if someone had any luck with cooking for the aforementioned situation. I know my son's fiancé has had trouble making banana bread. I went through an entire box of gluten-free flour trying to make homemade noodles; 1 c. flour, 1 egg, 2 tsp salt, and 2 tbsp. milk. I substituted almond milk for the recipe as well as using gluten-free flour, eggs were extra-large instead of my usual jumbo.

By Mary E.

Answers

Check out celiac.com or hit up google.com typing in "gluten-free dairy-free recipes". On celiac.com, you don't have to sign up to read their forum sections & there is one specifically for cooking/baking. Check out the rest of the site, though as they have a lot of good information.

Many folks have more than 1 food allergy/food intolerance & if cross contamination is an issue, there needs to be a revamping of all cooking/baking pans, utensils, etc. Take it one step at a time & things will fall in place... just isn't as easy as "leaving out" or making substitutes for some recipes or even for some folks. ;)

I'm looking for gluten free recipes. Do you have a favorite one to share? If so please send my way.
I'm in dire need of those kinds of recipes.

By Babs

I am looking for gluten free recipes.

By marcirose from Whidbey, WA

Answers:

Gluten Free Recipes

Here's a really good link that has an assortment of recipes and also how to adapt recipes and substitutes:

csaceliacs.org

Oh, and here's another good link:

<ap> ozemail.com.au

Hope this is helpful. (08/26/2009)

By Deeli

I have celiac disease. Do you have a gluten free menu?

Barbara from Clifton, NJ

Answers:

Gluten Free Recipes

Google: gluten free recipes. You will have zillions to choose from! (07/30/2006)

By gurth

Gluten Free Recipes

Try recipegoldmine.com, they have a page devoted to gluten free recipes. (07/31/2006)

By micksgirl

Gluten Free Recipes

I am dieting and have to watch what I eat. One of the things I was told was to watch bread and noodles. So I went to the health food store and found noodles made from rice. I brought a pack and it tastes just like the real noodles. I have made things from it just using regular noodle recipes and it works just fine. Good luck. (08/01/2006)

By patg

Gluten Free Recipes

I'm a member of: http://forums.glutenfree.com/index.php

It gives great support to people with celiac disease and has a great recipe section, plus members who are happy to help find you recipes you need to stay healthy! (05/31/2008)

By isto357