Thickening Soups Without Gluten or Dairy

Category Soup
This is a guide about thickening soups without gluten or dairy. Avoiding wheat flour and milk products when making a creamy soup can be easier than you think.

I have discovered that fat free coffee creamer is gluten and lactose free. I use coffee creamer as a substitute for cream or milk in my chowders and any soups calling for dairy. Cook a little extra potato, puree them in the blender and add the puree with the creamer to thicken your soup. No flour needed. It actually tastes better!

Top Comment

Coffee creamer is often used as a substitute for milk and other liquids in recipes. If the creamer is used in recipes that are not intended to provide important nutrients such as protein, calcium, vitamins, etc., then the substitution is not a problem.

However, if the creamer is used in recipes that are intended to provide the nutrients in milk, such as casseroles, soups, cereals, desserts, etc., then nutrient alternative additions to the diet should be considered, especially for growing children, pregnant women, people recovering from illnesses etc.

I would use some instant potatoes to thicken a white or light soup (chicken corn soup, cream of broccoli, etc.) and refried beans to thicken a dark soup or chili. Of course, I made myself a roux and froze dollops on a cookie sheet and then bagged them to save for thickening gravies.