Growing Allium

Category Bulbs
These sun loving bulbs are deer resistant and attract butterflies. This is a guide about growing allium.

Botanical Name:

Life Cycle:

perennial bulb

Planting Time:

varies depending on variety

full sun

rich, well-drained soil

zones 4-9

Bloom Time:

variety of colors including true blue, purple, violet and yellow

Suggested Use:

beds, borders, cut flower and butterfly and hummingbird gardens.

Growing Hints:

Plant bulbs in fall for spring flowering. Bulbs should be planted 4 inches deep and will benefit from an application of bulb fertilizer worked into the soil before planting or applied as new growth starts to appear.

Cluster bulbs in groups of three to five for the best color and plant tall varieties in locations protected by the wind. Companion planting is advisable to cover the wilting foliage as plants begin to bloom.

Interesting Facts:

Allium tends to be resistant to deer, chipmunks, mice and other rodents, and great for attracting butterflies and hummingbirds.

This became one of my favorite flowers, after seeing an entire bed in bloom when I visited NYC. So gorgeous! The flowers are giant, the size of a grapefruit, and a beautiful purple-pink. Most allium I have seen for sale at nurseries are more purple or blue. These remind me of a fireworks display.

Onions and chives are also part of the allium family. The first year, I only got one bloom, but they divide every year if conditions are right. I think I have been lucky because I can't get anything else to grow in that area. I'm now up to 4 blossoms and I think it is time to spread them out so I get even more next year.

What is this flower?

By Louise from Harrisburg, PA

Best Answer

It is an allium, which is related to onions. It's gorgeous!

Last fall I planted my daffodils, allium, iris, and hyacinth, but in the spring only a few allium came up! I've never had this happen, what could have happened to them?

I need to know before I plant them this fall.

Just one idea; soil nutrients and PH levels change over the years. You can order a PH test and you would need to look up how alkaline or acidic your Allium needs.

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photos. Click at right to share your own photo in this guide.

I'm not sure if it's because of all the rain we had, but I think my allium are especially bright and colorful this year!

By Mary

Beautiful Allium

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 6