Growing Allium

Botanical Name:

Allium

Life Cycle:

perennial bulb

Planting Time:

fall

Height:

varies depending on variety

Exposure:

full sun

Soil:

rich, well-drained soil

Hardiness:

zones 4-9

Bloom Time:

spring

Flower:

variety of colors including true blue, purple, violet and yellow

Foliage:

green

Propagation:

bulbs

Suggested Use:

beds, borders, cut flower and butterfly and hummingbird gardens.

Growing Hints:

Plant bulbs in fall for spring flowering. Bulbs should be planted 4 inches deep and will benefit from an application of bulb fertilizer worked into the soil before planting or applied as new growth starts to appear. Cluster bulbs in groups of three to five for the best color and plant tall varieties in locations protected by the wind. Companion planting is advisable to cover the wilting foliage as plants begin to bloom.

Interesting Facts:

Allium tends to be resistant to deer, chipmunks, mice and other rodents, and great for attracting butterflies and hummingbirds.

5 More Solutions

This became one of my favorite flowers, after seeing an entire bed in bloom when I visited NYC. So gorgeous! The flowers are giant, the size of a grapefruit, and a beautiful purple-pink. Most allium I have seen for sale at nurseries are more purple or blue. These remind me of a fireworks display.

A purple giant allium in full bloom

What is this flower?

By Louise from Harrisburg, PA

Answers

Best Answer

It is an allium, which is related to onions. It's gorgeous!

Answer this Question

What do I do with allium bulbs when they are finished?

Answers

After they finish blooming, cut off the dead foliage and leave them alone. They will bloom again.

I just leave mine in the ground and they come back every year. I started with 1 blossom and I had 5 bloom this year. I probably planted the original bulb about 6 years ago. I need to divide them so that I'll get more blossoms in a couple of years. It's best to wait until the fall to move them, according to what I have read.

Answer this Question

Last fall I planted my daffodils, allium, iris, and hyacinth, but in the spring only a few allium came up! I've never had this happen, what could have happened to them?

I need to know before I plant them this fall.

Answers

Just one idea; soil nutrients and PH levels change over the years. You can order a PH test and you would need to look up how alkaline or acidic your Allium needs.

Answer this Question

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photos. Click at right to share your own photo in this page.

I'm not sure if it's because of all the rain we had, but I think my allium are especially bright and colorful this year!

Beautiful Allium

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 6
Home and Garden Gardening BulbsFebruary 23, 2012
🍀
💘
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Growing-Allium-1.html