Growing Marantas (Prayer Plants)

Category House Plants
Given the right conditions marantas (prayer plants) are an easy to grow houseplant. This is a guide about growing marantas (prayer plant).

I've had this plant for 2 to 3 years now. I've found it likes being by the fire place in the shade. I'm thinking of putting the plant in a show, but it has some dusty leaves. How can I clean them to make them shine for the show.

Answers

I use plain water to clean mine. You can also spray it with leaf shine this one time.

You can just a light cloth and spray with water to clean the leaves.

This plant is gorgeous!! Is it in the elephant ear family? I have never seen one like this and was wondering what it is.

My florist friend uses a dab of plain generic mayonnaise wiped on and off to make leaves shiny. She swears it won't bring out bugs, but it makes me nervous. Her plants are always stunning so it works!

Good luck with the contest!!

It is A Manantra Plant, Lord Prayer is the common name. And goes it is beautiful.

Thank you! I will have to see if any friends have these and want to share a clipping. It is gorgeous! I never heard the term prayer plant before. Great name for it!! Thanks for sharing. I hope you do well with the entry!!

Looks like you may have winner! Beautiful prayer plant. I think you are right as your plant seems to be thriving under the present lighting conditions.

• I have always liked plain water as a cleaner and if possible, a nice gentle spray on my outside deck.
  • This is from a florist website:
  • "Pour a little milk into a bowl, and dip the rag (I sometimes use a paper towel) into the milk. Ring out excess milk so that you end up with a wrung out damp rag. While supporting the bottom of the leaf, gently wipe the top of the leaf with the milky rag. Allow to air dry."
  • I think this goes along with the mayonnaise tip as I have heard people say they use water, milk or mayonnaise.
  • Here is a link from ProFlowers (who really should know what they are talking about).
  • www.proflowers.com/.../getting-shiny-leaves-on-potted-plants

I have had a nice praying plant for years now, sometimes the edges turn brown while the rest of the plant looks healthy and now it's even growing more spotted leaves, but the older ones still have brown edges. I wonder what I'm doing wrong. Does anyone have the same problem or can help me here? I attached a photo it shows new leaves, but some old ones have brown edges.

By lahib

Answers

Some times when a plant gets the brown crispy edges, it is a result from over fertilizing. Some plants create their own nitrogen. I also have one of these plants. I have noticed that when I use a fertilizer, it seems shortly after I am trimming off a leaf that has turned brown and crusty on the ends. I would guess the over fertilizing could be it.

I also have this plant. I have noticed that after I fertilize, I end up trimming off leaves that have dried up and turned brown. Some plants create there own nitrogen. My guess is our plants don't need the fertilizer. Happy Gardening!

Can someone please show a diagram, where should I cut a prayer plant with yellowing leaves?

Answers

Im sorry I could not locate a diagram but the instructions were fairly simple. This is what I found:

Prune a prayer plant in the spring and in the autumn using pruning shears. Remove any discolored leaves, and any other leaves that make the plant larger than you desire, by clipping the leaves and stems off where the stems connect with the plant.

How do you replant and separate prayer plants?

Answers

To replant your Prayer Plants you will need Sphagnum peat moss, loamy soil, perlite, or coarse sand all which can be purchased at your local garden center. Also, you will need extra pots.

Step 1
Make your own potting mix for your plant. Use a peat-based potting mix with a pH of 5.5 to 6.0 or mix two parts sphagnum peat moss, one part loamy soil, and one part perlite or coarse sand together.

Step 2
Stir all of the ingredients together until they are thoroughly mixed. Sphagnum peat moss, loamy soil, perlite, and coarse sand can be purchased at local garden centers.

Step 3
You can divide your prayer plant into several smaller plants by gently shaking the soil off the roots and working them apart. Each new plant should have a good mass of roots and several stems.

Step 4
You will want to choose shallow pots with water drainage holes on the bottom.

Re-potting and or Separating the plant is recommended to do around springtime and pruning is reccomended twice a year in the spring and in the fall. For more information check out this maintenance guide to help with your Prayer Plant http://www.wiki  r-a-Prayer-Plant

I bought a prayer plant because it reminded me of my mother. Well, I guess I don't have a green thumb when it comes to these plants, the leaves are turning brown and falling off. Could I get some advice on how to take care of it. Thanks.

By LaurieS

Answers

It could be a lack of moisture or that the plant is receiving too much light. They like low to medium indirect light. I would change it's location and make sure that you water it regularly. Hopefully, it will make a comeback.

Another idea is to talk to a local garden center to see what they recommend. You could go back to the place you purchased the plant originally to see what they think.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.