Growing Oleander

Category Shrubs
Oleander shrubs are a popular plant because of their flowers and ability to withstand harsh conditions. This is a guide about growing oleander.

I was given a plant that I was told was an oleander. I have been to various web sites including Texas A & M. Has anyone heard of this plant and can give me some direction for care.

By Tracy

Answers

Try this site:

http://www.olea … org/culture.html

Seems I recall oleander pant parts as being poisonous, especially if the wood is burned or used for roasting marshmallows and hot dogs, you might want to look into that.

I have 2 large, lovely Oleanders off my front porch. They have been there for almost 10 years. Parts are poisonous. Make sure your pets and children won't chew on it. In all those years, I have not had an incident with it. My grandmother had them, and never had a problem with it either.

They get full sun until noon, then get partial sun. After they became well grown and established, I don't do any watering. They get what comes naturally. All we do is cut the limbs that get in the way of the steps, or walking around the porch.

Hope yours come out lovely, and that you get a lot of enjoyment from them!

Yep, as frugalsunnie mentioned, it's highly poisonous, especially when burned. Please get some good info on this.

Oleander needs to be watered a lot during its 2 first years, then it should be able to live in drier conditions if planted outdoors. It has to be pruned every 2 or 3 years after flowering to reshape it and to give it new energy.

Oleander is extremely dangerous all parts of the plant are toxic (it contains oleandrin, neriin and nerianthin) and it is even advised to grow Oleander only in a place where you will not have to stand for a long time. In Morocco people will always advise you never to sleep next to the oleanders as it will provoque aches, cold sweats and dizziness.

Hope this helps
Catherine

Is there a vibrant yellow in the oleander blossom?

By Nick C. from Sacramento, KY

Last year I bought 6 oleander plants. During the winter the leaves turned brown almost like they all have died. I have very little new growth, but it is on every plant. Any suggestions?

By Shelley from east TX