Ask a QuestionHere are the questions asked by community members. Read on to see the answers provided by the ThriftyFun community or ask a new question.
I was given a plant that I was told was an oleander. I have been to various web sites including Texas A & M. Has anyone heard of this plant and can give me some direction for care.
Try this site:
Seems I recall oleander pant parts as being poisonous, especially if the wood is burned or used for roasting marshmallows and hot dogs, you might want to look into that.
I have 2 large, lovely Oleanders off my front porch. They have been there for almost 10 years. Parts are poisonous. Make sure your pets and children won't chew on it. In all those years, I have not had an incident with it. My grandmother had them, and never had a problem with it either.
They get full sun until noon, then get partial sun. After they became well grown and established, I don't do any watering. They get what comes naturally. All we do is cut the limbs that get in the way of the steps, or walking around the porch.
Hope yours come out lovely, and that you get a lot of enjoyment from them!
Yep, as frugalsunnie mentioned, it's highly poisonous, especially when burned. Please get some good info on this.
Oleander needs to be watered a lot during its 2 first years, then it should be able to live in drier conditions if planted outdoors. It has to be pruned every 2 or 3 years after flowering to reshape it and to give it new energy.
Oleander is extremely dangerous all parts of the plant are toxic (it contains oleandrin, neriin and nerianthin) and it is even advised to grow Oleander only in a place where you will not have to stand for a long time. In Morocco people will always advise you never to sleep next to the oleanders as it will provoque aches, cold sweats and dizziness.
Hope this helps
Last year I bought 6 oleander plants. During the winter the leaves turned brown almost like they all have died. I have very little new growth, but it is on every plant. Any suggestions?
Hardiness Zone: 8a
By Shelley from east TX
Prune the plant and remove the dead leaves and branches. It may need a little bit or 5-5-5 fertilizer in the beginning to stimulate it but won't likely need it in the future.
Is there a vibrant yellow in the oleander blossom?
By Nick C. from Sacramento, KY