Growing Saskatoon Serviceberry (Amelanchier alnifolia)?

Category Berries
The fragrant drooping white flowers in spring are followed by large bluish purple edible berries. The Saskatoon service berry is a medium to large upright shrub native to North America from Alaska across much of western Canada into the western and north-central US. They prefer full sun, but can tolerate light shade. The extensive root system results in clumps and allows it to being grown as a hedge.

I planted a Saskatoon serviceberry bush last spring (2017), so it is in it's first full year this year. Last year it produced very small green berries that did not ripen. I put it down to being the first year. This year, it is a little over 5 feet high and has produced many berries, but as yet, they are still very small, hard, and green. Do I need more than one plant for cross pollination? More and/or different fertilizer? Or more frequent watering?

If we do not have rain, I water thoroughly at least twice a week. As you can see in the photo, the plant also has brown spots on many of the leaves. We have had almost monsoon type rains on the east coast this year and I'm wondering if it has been getting too much water. Any advice is appreciated.

I live in New Bern, NC.

Answers

Best Answer

Normally it takes 3 to 5 years for any tree to produce fruit that can be eaten. At the end of the growing season just before winter, you'll need to trim back the tree just a bit and cut off all the branches with fruit on them. You can do this before fall or wait till early spring. If you have harsh winters it is best to wait until early spring.

I planted my Saskatoon trees about 4-5 years ago on a lawn plot. To date they are only about 15" tall with no berries.

By Randy

Answers

Best Answer

My Saskatoons are 8 -10 feet tall 6 foot diameter bushes, not trees. Sounds like you need to fertilize and water them. Especially in fall and in early spring you have to water them, or they won't grow.

Once the shoots are 5 - 6 feet produce high and produce lots of berries, let some of them drop. They will produce new shoots and you will soon have bushes. The new shoots carry fruit already the first year after berries dropped . I have never seen any, that didn't.

Maybe somebody sold you Blueberry instead. They are similar, but the berry has a dimple, whereas the Saskatoon has the remains of the blossom.

Home and Garden Gardening BerriesMay 31, 2020
🌻
😎
😷
👔
🎆
🐛

Generated 2020-06-01 23:10:29 in 2 secs. ⛅️️ ⚡️