Growing Wheat Grass for Your Pets

Cat in wheat grass
Indoor pets will benefit from their own mini garden of grass to nibble on. This is a guide about growing wheat grass for your pets.

I picked up a couple of containers of wheat grass sprouts in the produce section for my indoor cats, for less than two dollars each. I placed one container in a bigger bowl when I got home and put some gravel/stones in it to keep it stable. Our cats are loving it. I rotate the two containers so one is outside getting sun to keep growing, and one is inside being the 'salad bar'. Happy kitties!

By Maile from Onalaska

For those of you that have pets that like to graze on grass, buying it is expensive. You can go to the health food store and get a pound of wheat berries for about 50 cents and plant your own.

I like to use organic potting soil with no fertilizers. I keep small pots on hand, the more sparse you put seeds in the better. Lightly cover the seeds with soil, take a mister and dampen. Put in a dark warm area for 3 days, I put mine in the oven and keep it misted (I put a note on the oven to remind me it's in there!)

After 3 days, place in a sunny location and watch it grow a bit everyday. It is so easy and so cheap, and always fresh on hand! And the bag of berry seeds produces many plantings and will last a long time. I keep it refrigerated until needed to plant more.

By Linda from Oceanside, CA