Guest Room Tips and Tricks

Category Helpful Hints
Having a guest room is very helpful if you want to encourage out of town guests but it can also be a lot of wasted space in your home. Get the most of your guest room with the tips and tricks in this guide.

After washing the dusty spread on the bed in the spare bedroom, I thought about using one of the extra sheets, I have accumulated, to cover the bed to keep it from getting dusty.

It works well. This not only keeps the bed from getting dusty but the bed has become a great place to store all the extra pillows I have on hand for family when they all come home.

You might think that room is not used but unbeknown to my children, it becomes storage space for me which helps in keeping the rest of our small house tidy.

When getting the room ready for company, I take everything out, that does not belong, and put it out of sight on the treadmill which does not get used while they are here. Then I vacuum, dust and remove the cover sheet on the bed and I am ready for guest.

If needed, I wash the sheet before I use it again to cover the bed and pillows. It is much easier to wash than the spread.

Although we have a clothesline, stuff hanging on it always smells dusty even though it is located by a paved alley over green grass. So I don't use it. I converted our spare bedroom into the laundry drying room. I went to The Container Store and bought their largest indoor collapsible dryer ($50), I have been happily using it ever since. However, you don't have to use this particular unit. You could set up a collapsible drying rack or two in any spare unused room and do the same thing.

My house has a tiny excuse for a laundry room in the hallway to the garage, which is more like a mini-niche with the washer on one side, the dryer on the other, and inches to spare between the machines and the wall. DH put up rods from which to hang clothing over the units, but you run the risk of getting slapped in the face by a wet shirt or undergarment if you're not careful. I like the guest room idea better. When we have overnight visitors, I'll fold up the drying rack and tuck it into the master bath. Should have done it years ago but didn't think of it until the last time I popped into the store for inspiration.

Comment Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

A really good thing to do these days is to run extension cords in your guests bedrooms/personal space in order for them to easily charge the vast array of electrical gadgets such as cell phones, digital cameras, laptops, etc. I have also run extension cords behind my family room furniture in order for my guests to plug in their laptops easily. I know I would appreciate it!

By Mitzi from DeLand

Comment Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

This guide is about decorating a guest bedroom. Brighten up your spare bedroom to welcome your guests.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes