Drawer and Shelf Liner Ideas

Category Helpful Hints
There are many products that can be used to line drawers and shelves, in addition to those sold for this purpose. This is a guide about drawer and shelf liner ideas.

If you are looking for an economical, durable way to line your cabinets and drawers, then I would suggest the self-adhesive floor tiles you can purchase at local dollar stores. The material is easily cut with scissors and easy to apply. It also cleans easily with a wet rag when needed. Since it comes in different colors, it is easy to match your decor. The best part is that it lasts for years, but can easily be removed if needed.

By onesoutherngal from MS

I don't know how all the crumbs get into my kitchen drawers. It seems like I'm always taking everything out of the drawers, dumping the crumbs, and wiping them clean - and replacing the liner! Well, one of those great ideas out of nowhere popped into my brain the other day: plastic canvas sheets!

I went to my craft room and got a few pieces of it. Cutting it to size was so easy. Measure, and cut on the convenient line. One sheet wasn't enough, but cutting what I needed to cover the drawer completely was really simple. You can buy it in several different colors, so it looks good. Crumbs fall through the spaces, and the canvas keeps everything off of them.

It's really easy to wash. It's cheap, and it will last forever. You can buy it at any craft store, and a lot of other places like Walmart. You can buy it one sheet at a time, or in packs. No more cutting paper or sticky back paper to size, no more replacing it every little bit.

Use linoleum leftovers to line your sink base cabinet and oven drawer for easier cleanup. You can even use linoleum pieces in cabinets instead of shelf paper so spills can be cleaned up easily.

By Sallyd from Pottsville, PA

Use wax paper to line your kitchen shelves instead of buying expensive shelf liner paper. It's easy and cheap!

By Lisa M.

I put non adhesive shelf liner on shelves, especially in medicine cabinet and cabinets where I store kitchen glasses. This helps keep wooden cabinets from bubbling if items are put in with water on them. Also easy to wipe clean and now that they have the shelf liner that doesn't stick, it's great. I also it put under sink as that is where a leak can happen. This will save cabinet from water damage and since I keep all my household cleaners there, it keeps it clean if they drip.

By Carol from Massachusetts

Many times I have thought there must be a cheaper and easier way to line drawers/cabinets. With my young toddler daughters determined to help, I began using inexpensive wrapping paper.

If you fold it to fit the intended space, then there is no need for scissors. Personally, this is my favorite part, no need to fear injury. Using inexpensive wrapping paper (printed side facing up) allows you many decorative possibilities. You can use the unprinted side of the wrapping paper as is, or as an extra special activity, ask your young children (play date friends included) to help with an "art project".

First, temporarily anchor the blank side of wrapping paper to the floor or table. Then allow your child/children a variety of colored crayons to create their drawings. Finally, take completed art masterpieces and place at intended drawers or cabinets. Crayons are the perfect medium for this project. They are naturally waterproof, thus protecting your children's artwork. They also won't be absorbed or run when wet. During the holidays, my family and friends get a kick out of opening cabinets/drawers, just to see what "surprise" look has been chosen. Also the major eco-friendly plus is that old wrapping papers can go right into your recycle bin.

Source: Inspiration: my twin daughters (4 years old) and scissor-free folding.

Scented drawer liner paper keeps your clothes smelling wonderful. Buying it can be expensive and you may not find a fragrance you like, so make your own. This is a guide about how to make your own scented drawer liner paper.

A chest of drawers with clothing in them.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

Has anyone ever tried to line drawers with wrapping paper or wall paper? If so, I'd like to know how well it worked. I have been trying to find suitable drawer liners, but the only ones I found are adhesive or rubberized which are expensive for lining a lot of drawers.

By Zerubabel from Covington, KY

Answers

I use wall paper as it is heavier then wrapping paper. Often local paint stores that carry wall paper will have rolls that are discounted either because they are discontinued or left over from builders. Some wall paper is washable for drawers in bathrooms or kitchens. Make your pattern out of paper before you try to put the wall paper roll in the drawer or you will drive yourself crazy. Good luck.

Yes I also put left over wallpaper in my bathroom drawers. It works very well. Be sure to measure them before you start, good luck.

Wall paper works great, plus you can get discontinued patterns for so cheap. I am even seeing higher end furniture using wallpaper to line the drawers as a selling feature. Go for it!

I've never tried this but it sounds beautiful, and I think you'd only have to cut the paper to fit the drawers. The thing I worry about is the paste on the back of the paper. Would the glue attract bugs? I don't even know if they use paste anymore. Good Luck!

I have drawers and cabinets lined for many years with wallpaper. It's great! Easy to wipe up, too. Lay it out, measure, cut, re-roll in opposite direction and lay down - don't glue! I used leftover paper - bought way too much! Enjoy!

I lined my drawers and cabinets in my kitchen about 10 years ago with wallpaper, and it still looks great! Linda :o)

Believe it or not, I used cheap floor tiles from the dollar store to line my kitchen drawers, cabinets, bathroom vanity, dresser drawers, linen closet shelves, etc. I got the no wax oak for my kitchen and bedroom, no wax marbelized for my bathroom and linen closet and when a spill or drip occurs in the bathroom it just wipes up like a charm. I will never use shelving paper, wallpaper or wrapping paper again.

Anonymous

Yes use it all the time. I use gift paper from hobby lobby. They have beautiful colors and patterns.

Yes, it will! Roaches love to eat the glue! That's why I'm looking for an alternative that doesn't involve adhesive products.

I paint a lot of old furniture so what I do to spruce up in the inside of the drawers is stain them like this http://tinyurl.com/j7luqa6

What can I use to line dresser drawers, instead of buying expensive drawer liner?

By Maplesugar

Answers

Best Answer

You can find inexpensive (read cheap:) shelf liner and contact paper at the dollar stores.

You can also cut up old bed sheets to fit the drawers, or use tea towels. The advantage is that your stored items don't 'slosh' around in the drawer, and you can take the fabric out and run it through the wash when it's got grungy.