Half of House Power Not Working

I'm an older lady who lives alone and only half my power works in my house. Is it fixable or do I have a way of fixing it myself? What is causing it? Thank you.

Unless you know what you are doing, it's best to call a qualified electrician in. Your circuit box may have old wiring that needs to be replaced.

Call your power company. It sounds like you may of lost a leg, which would be outside on the power company side of the meter.

Check your breaker box before anything else. I'd go so far as to flip everything "off" then "on." Perhaps unplug an appliance or three on the "not working" side to see if that makes a difference?

If the problem persists, do call the professionals. But ask the power company about their fee beforehand? They may charge more than a qualified electrician.