Handmade Forest Butterfly Birthday Card
Silver Post Medal for All Time! 408 Posts
July 8, 2015
Little girls adore watching butterflies dance around the flowers and the trees. Capture the magic of one of nature's prettiest insects with this beautiful birthday card. Watch your little girl's face light up when she turns the card and the wings of the butterfly move, as if the butterfly is dancing in the wind. Truly a card that she will cherish for years to come. This card can also be used as a party invitation for a forest-themed birthday party for a little girl.
Total Time: 30 minutes
Yield: one card
- printout of provided pattern of butterfly
- 1 piece 11 x 5.4 inch light purple marbled cardstock
- 5.1 in square cut from a tan colored cork sheet
- 1 piece of pink floral embossed cardstock
- 1 piece of dark pink sugar paper
- 1 piece of pink handmade tissue paper
- 1 piece of cerise pink sheer fabric
- small packet of moss
- multi-colored diamond DIY car sticker decoration strip
- 3 10mm long wooden ladybugs
- 2 small wooden flowers
- 1 in long wooden dragonfly
- 4 small 3D self-adhesive foam squares
- Pilot silver marker pen
- standard scissors
- clear-drying craft glue (such as Bostik Clear)
- Score the light purple marbled cardstock to create a card sized 5.4" x 5.4".
- Add glue to the piece of cork. Use your finger to spread the glue evenly over the cork and cover the cork with moss. Press the moss down firmly and allow to dry. Neatly cut off any moss protruding over the edges of the cork.
- With the fold at the top, centre and glue the moss-covered cork to the front of the card.
- Trace and cut three butterflies: one each from the floral embossed cardstock, the dark pink sugar paper, and the handmade tissue paper.
- Trace and cut the bottom wings from the sheer fabric.
- Use the silver pen to add detail to the butterflies cut from the floral embossed cardstock and the handmade tissue paper.
- Glue the floral embossed butterfly to the front of the card.
- Add the sheer fabric wings, but do not glue them down completely. Only add glue to the fabric butterfly's body before gluing it on top of the first. Add two self-adhesive foam squares beneath the fabric wings, directly to the left and right sides of the body, to lift the fabric wings.
- Next, glue the sugar paper butterfly in place, again only adding glue to the sugar paper butterfly's body.
- Lastly, add the tissue paper butterfly, again only adding glue to the body of this butterfly. Slightly bend the wings upward ~ the wings must be loose and be able to move, to create an effect of a butterfly dancing whenever the card is turned.
- Add a strip of rhinestones to the body of the butterfly.
- Add the flowers, ladybugs, and dragonfly to the card.
CommentsRead More Comments
Published by ThriftyFun.
© 1997-2022 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.