Harvest Stew Recipes

Category Stew
A delicious way to use up garden produce is to prepare a hearty harvest stew. This page contains harvest stew recipes.

Recipes

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these recipes. If you have made this recipe please submit a photo and let us know how it worked. Or, add your own recipe variation.

My weekly organics box included lots of late summer veggies like zucchini, corn and potatoes. I decided to make a hearty stew for dinner. There were various hot peppers included this week, too. I didn't know exactly what they were, so I just chopped them up and threw them in. The stew starts off with a relatively sweet flavor, but has a nice kick at the end.

Prep Time: 30 Minutes

Cook Time: 2 Hours

Total Time: 2.5 Hours

Yield: 8

As I was working with fresh organic veggies, I had a lot of chopping and prep involved. You could save some time by using frozen veggies instead of fresh. I also cut off a section of a pork loin that I'm planning on cooking later in the week. You could use pork chops or any other type of meat you might have handy. I did use Better than Bouillon chicken base. I like it better than bouillon cubes and I didn't have any liquid broth handy.

• 1-2 lb pork
  • 3 Tbsp olive oil, divided
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 2 Tbsp chopped garlic
  • 1 lb potatoes, chopped
  • 1 bunch carrots (5 large), sliced
  • 5 peppers*, chopped and deseeded
  • 2 cups corn kernels
  • 1 qt chicken stock or bouillon
  • 1 bunch Italian parsley, chopped
  • 1 bunch kale, chopped
  • salt, pepper and Italian seasoning, to taste

*Use whatever pepper your family enjoys. I used a combination of hot and sweet ones. It would be also good with regular bell peppers.

1. Cut pork into cubes.
  2. Brown the pork with oil in a hot stockpot or Dutch oven. Add salt and pepper. Set aside.
  3. Add more oil to the pot and cook chopped onions and garlic until they start to brown.
  4. Add corn, peppers and the cooked pork, including any juices.
  5. Add zucchini and continue to cook for a couple of minutes.
  6. Add chicken broth, carrots and potatoes and bring to a boil.
  7. Reduce heat to a low simmer and cover pot. Cook on low for 1-2 hours, until the potatoes and carrots are soft.
  8. Add kale and parsley. Continue on simmer for 10 minutes or so.
  9. Add salt, pepper and Italian seasonings. Adjust the taste to your liking. If the soup is too sweet, add in a bit of apple cider or white wine vinegar to correct it. I also used a bit of Worchestershire sauce to add flavor.

This is a great recipe to help use up your garden's harvest.