Healthy Smoothie Recipes

Category Smoothie
This page contains healthy smoothie recipes. Use your blender to make a delicious cold drink with the nutrition and fiber from vegetables and fruits.

I got this recipe for my nutritionist friend years ago and after this back-to-back barbecue-full summer, have been using it a lot lately! It's cheap, easy to make, and totally works. I generally have it a couple hours before bedtime and wake up refreshed (and not to mention, it keeps me out of the cookie jar), but it works when you're feeling bloated any time.

Total Time: 5 minutes

Yield: 1 big smoothie

• 1/2 lemon
  • 1/3 large cucumber
  • 1 Tbsp grated ginger
  • 1 Tbsp aloe vera juice or fresh aloe vera
  • 1/2 bunch cilantro or parsley
  • 4 fl oz water

1. Chuck all the ingredients into a blender.
  2. Pulse for 30 seconds.
  3. If you feel the need to have it sweet (as it is a bit tart), add some raw honey.
  4. Ad

I always look for healthy ways to get important fruits and veggies into my family especially at breakfast. This is a perfect time and way to do so using some unexpected healthy, yummy flavors and ingredients. Bet they all will drink it! Yum!

Total Time: 5 minutes

• 1 cup rice, soy or other milk
  • 1 piece watermelon, fresh or frozen
  • 1/2 banana, frozen
  • 2 tsp nut butter (peanut, almond, cashew...your choice)
  • Optional
  • 1/2 jar new tri-flavored baby foods
  • pinch favorite spices-cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, vanilla or even chia seeds or flax seeds
  • 1-2 tsp Tahini (Sesame Paste)

1. Blend rice milk and watermelon (it gives it that smoothie 'body').
  2. Add 1/2 frozen banana and Tahini.
  3. Add any optional ingredients you like. I had found the tri-mixed baby foods discounted just because they were changing their labels, so I figured, why not try them?
  4. Sometimes I add spices: cinnamon, cloves, vanilla and a little nutmeg just because I like to experiment. Just mix them all together! Feel free to add your favorite fruits or even veggies.

A delicious protein rich, green smoothie to enjoy for breakfast or lunch. This page contains avocado yogurt cucumber smoothie recipe.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

Start your morning right with this healthy smoothie. It is quick and easy to make, so it is perfect for busy mornings.

Directions:

Blend together all ingredients except the ice until smooth. Add the ice and continue to blend until creamy. Serve immediately.

By Terri

I am needing smoothie or shake recipes loaded with veggies. I have a very picky 3 year old that will not eat vegetables. She likes the V-8 fusion drinks but I would like to incorporate more options and less sugar.

Thanks,
Sarah from Hixson, TN

Answers

We make fruit smooties with 2-3 carrots added. also i will throw in some broccolli sometimes.. but the stronger the veggie taste, the less I add. I don't add any sugar, but I put a bit of honey at the bottom of the glass. We drink with the tough reuseable straws, so our picky toddler has to suck through the smoothie to get to the honey! :)

I didn't ever make smoothies, but you can puree vegetables and add them to spaghetti sauce, add to the soup you use in a casserole, gravy, etc. Example: one of my friends always purees a can or two of spinach and adds it to her spaghetti sauce and her kids love it! It's maybe better for the child to get used to eating the vegetable, but whatever works!!

My kids loves smoothies with strawberries and bananas BUT I add Juice Plus+ Complete (powder). It offers vegetable proteins, fiber, plant enzymes, isoflavones and antioxidants. The powder contains carrot, parsley, beet, broccoli, kale, cabbage, spinach and tomato. But made in a smoothie with some frozen strawberries and a banana they love it! They also take Juice Plus+ chewables (instead of vitamins). This insures that they get 17 different fruits, veggies and grains each and every day. They might not always "eat" the best, but, they are getting whole food nutrition each day.

Email me if you'd like more information on Juice Plus+!

daily17@bellsouth (dot) net

Please try Green smoothies. They are healthy and absolutely delicious! Google " Green smoothies or Victoria Boutenko" to read up about them. Here are some suggestions from the web (though I personally do my own variations all the time) Good luck and enjoy!

Here's a variety of blends from Victoria's newsletter:

* 2 large mangos, 1 bunch parsley, water
* 6 peaches, 2 handfuls spinach leaves, water
* 2 mangos, 1 handful wild weeds (e.g. lambs quarters, stinging nettles, purslane), water
* 1 cup strawberries, 2 bananas, 1/2 bunch romaine lettuce, water
* 4 apples, 1/2 lemon juiced, 4-5 leaves kale, water
* 4 very ripe kiwis, 1 ripe banana, 3 stalks celery, water
* 4 ripe pears, 4-5 leaves kale, 1/2 bunch mint, water
* 10 finger-bananas, 2 handfuls of spinach leaves, water
* 3 bosch pears, 1 handful raspberries, 4-5 leaves kale, water

Raw Family's favorite Green Smoothie:

* 1/2 pound fresh lamb's quarters, or 1/2 bunch fresh dinosaur kale, 2 ripe mangoes, 2 very ripe bananas, 1 quart water. Blend thoroughly in a Vita-Mix blender. Yields 1/2 a gallon of delicious smoothie. Will keep for 24 hours in the fridge or cooler, stored in a glass container.

I make the regular fruit smoothies by omitting the fruit and adding mixed frozen and thawed veggies, and using the non-sweetened yogurt, but adding honey instead. My grandchildren love them and ask for more.

Um... I'm not a parent but I'm pretty sure most parents would try to get their kid to learn to eat veggies. Do you want to be making smoothies until she goes to college? Just a thought...

The V8 fusion drinks do come in a Diet version, if you have no issue with artificial sweetners. These are way sweet, however, and you can add water to them, or mix with milk or yogurt.

Thank you everyone for the great advice!! Here is a picture of my picky eater.

Also a comment for one of the "advices" below.

Um...its obvious you don't have a two year old thats a picky eater. I have tried getting her to eat veggies but obviously per my request it has not been successfull. I will always try to incorporate them into her diet but untill then I need a way to be for sure she gets all the nutrition she needs. (As a parent you must learn to choose your battles) And about your college comment..I wouldn't mind since I will probably still be changing her diaper and singing her to sleep!! Just reality....

Another great way to sneak in some veggies is with muffins. My girls (5 & 3) like carrot-raisin-pineapple muffins. Also, last night on Good Eats, Alton Brown made a sandwich spread with cream cheese and roasted veggies. It looked great. I'm going to try it this weekend.

Your daughter is beautiful!

Sarah, your daughter is beautiful! What a doll. Marlene made a good suggestion about pureeing vegetables to add to sauces. I used to do this with homemade spaghetti sauce when my kids and their cousins were little because they definitely refused to eat onions, tomatoes, green peppers, etc. as small children. I also pureed chili ingredients except for the beans and meat, which they liked. When I made zucchini bread they loved it because I told them it was "green sprinkle cake." They assumed they were eating green sugar crystals used for cake decorating. I also used acorn and buttercup squash from the garden to make pies with- tastes just like pumpkin pie. They liked raw vegetables from the garden; carrots and broccoli with Ranch Dressing; Kohlrabi, cabbage, rhubarb and cherry tomatoes fresh from the vine.

great