Hibiscus Moscheutos

Photo Description
I found these this morning in a neglected corner of my back yard, an area I seldom visit. This plant has been in a pot for several years. I think by rendering such a beautiful display, it is trying to tell me it is worthy of its own little parcel of terra firma. After the blooms fade, I will give it that place of its own.

This is the winter hardy variety that dies back to the ground when temperatures drop below freezing. When they are well established, they can be quite large and literally covered in blooms. They require little care and have few enemies. They should be watched closely for white flies which can devastate and almost destroy the plant. If white fly damage is noticed, the plants should be treated early on with Malathion.

Below is a picture of another plant suffering heavy white fly damage. As you can see, the plant should have been treated in the initial stages of the infestation.

If you don't grow these, you might want to ask someone for cuttings as they are fairly easily rooted.