CoolingHome Improvement

High Setting on Air Conditioner Stopped Working

I bought a higher end brand of air conditioner (10,000 BTUs) two years ago. Last summer, the weather was so unbearably hot I ran it night and day for almost 2 months. Then, I noticed the "high" air control on the thermostat quit working. The "low" and "medium" are fine. Does anyone know what could cause the "High" air on a 2 year old A/C to just stop working? I dread another summer like last year without the high cold air output.

By Luann D.

I'm no a/c expert but you could check if your outside unit is low on the compressor gas that needs to be topped up periodically. You may not have had enough gas to operate the a/c on "high" but enough gas to operate the a/c on lower settings. check on your manual to see how to top it up if you are good at that sort of thing. Me, personally, I would get an a/c guy in to sort it out, since I'm not good at that sort of thing.

@cett - Thank you very much for the advice. That is what I will do, before the heat hits again this summer. Right now, we are enjoying -2 degrees!