Home Remedies for Restless Leg Syndrome

Category Home Remedies
Many people who suffer from RLS find relief without prescription medications. This is a guide about home remedies for restless leg syndrome.

I was diagnosed with Restless Leg Syndrome and was given a prescription
which I had several bad side effects from and it was also addicting. So I did not take it long.

I was talking to a friend of mine who told me she also had Restless Leg Syndrome and she took 1 table spoon of apple vinegar cider nightly for years and has not had to take any other medication since for it.

Since I cannot stand the bitter taste I bought some apple cider vinegar tablets and I have not had any more restless nights and I don't have to take it as often now just as needed. They are not expensive. I buy 250 mg - 250 Tablets for $7.39 and they last me a long time. I hope this helps as many of you as well as it has helped me.

I'm a 51 year old man and have had Restless Leg Syndrome (RLS) for 10 years and in my arms as well on occasion. I've read and surfed the web like you, heard of all the crazy RLS cure ideas but what I found out that works for me was when I stopped all caffeine intake and most sugar intake for just one day and that night, zero RLS.

If you can't do without caffeine and sugar, try the herb Kratom. You can buy it online at a hundred different U.S. websites and it's 100% legal. Kratom has some of the same alkaloids as opiates but not the same effect. It's a nice calming feeling but it also calms RLS. If you ever had a pain med prescription, you might have noticed your RLS had also disappeared. Kratom is a way of getting the alkaloids without the real opiates or need for prescription. Kratom is completely safe, overdoses are impossible but do your own homework to verify my words. Hope this helps.

Editor's Note: Read this Wikipedia entry for more information about the controversial Thai herb Kratom, or Mitragyna speciosa. Please consult with your health care provider before starting any herbal treatments.

I have suffered from RLS (restless leg syndrome) for years, but cannot tolerate the prescription for it. My doctor, who also suffers from it, drinks 8 oz. of tonic water every evening. I tried it and it works. For those who can't have sugar, like me, there is a diet version available.

Every night my left legs shakes and vibrates. Is that restless leg syndrome? What can I do to make it stop? Please help.

By Andrea

Answers

Your symptoms do not sound like the classic RLS symptoms. Generally, with RLS, you voluntarily move your legs because there is an irresistible urge to do so. If your symptoms are causing a great deal of problems, please see a neurologist. He will probably ask you to spend the night in a sleep lab where nerve conduction test will be performed, so as to find the source of your problems. I wish you luck.

RLS is one of the most annoying, and stressful things for me. When I go to bed at night say, 9 o'clock, I usually can't fall asleep till 3 am. My hands, feet, and legs keep me awake all night. The feeling is sometimes so uncomfortable for me, I cry.

My doctor thinks I'm crazy, because I'm so young (18). But my mom suffered from it and my father has diabetes. The feeling in my hands is the most uncomfortable for me; it feels almost as if somethings crawling through my fingers. I feel like I have to crack my knuckles every second and shake my hands to stop the feeling. Unfortunately that doesn't work, neither does stretching my legs before bed, or gently massaging my feet. Somebody please help me.

By Christina

Answers

My MD suggested I take 400mg Magnesium every! Night at bed. It works like a charm! Good luck. Chris

Anyone have any advice as to the best way to control nightly bouts of restless leg syndrome? I have recently begun to suffer with spasms, often severe and affecting my whole body. I am type 2 diabetic and need my sleep! I have heard a nightly dose of a couple of teaspoons of Milk of Magnesia could help. Has anyone tried this?

By Mary Lou from Canada

Answers

I have had two doctors tell me that there isn't really anything to do for the leg cramps. I am a type 2 diabetic, and have these cramps too. However, I was having them before I became diabetic. These doctors have told me they are part of growing older for some people. One of the doctors had an intern with him on the day he told me that and she made the comment that her Dad had just started getting these night time leg cramps and we should hear what he had to say about them. The doctor looked at her and replied see what we have to look forward too someday.

I have one restless leg and it keeps me from falling asleep for hours at night. I have tried meds but didn't like the feeling it gave me. Does anyone know a way to stop the feeling of having to move my leg (one leg)? I would appreciate any help.

az2010 from Easthampton, MA

Answers

I just read that drinking 1/4 tsp of baking soda mixed in a glass of water works well. I haven't tried it yet. Give me news if it works for you please.

patcholi 1961 @ gmail.com

If I put a heating pad under my legs for a while, it seems to relax them enough that I can go to sleep.

I had that problem for awhile and what I did was to wrap my legs tightly in the sheet and fell asleep that way. As I slept it unwound and I slept through the night. It went away after about a year and hasn't happened again.

I get right up and do leg stretches. Works for me.

Restless leg syndrome is a symptom of Folic acid deficiency,
I had it for yrs and never thought I would get rid of it,
Drove me nearly crazy,
Then I found out Folic Acid deficiency causes Restless leg syndrome. I have been free for over 3 yrs now, After spending a lifetime with it. It is so nice to be able to crawl in bed and go to sleep! Be aware if taking folic acid long term you MUST take it with B12, Both are water soluble. So there is no worries of taking to much,
I purchase it at my drugstore, contains folic acid, B12 and B6, tablets are cherry flavor and chewable. So there easy to pop in and chew up. there not very expensive, only $6.00 for 120 tablets. Also a lot of foods that is suppose to have folic acid in them, in fact do not, The ground in many many places through out the world is depleted in it.

Years ago when I raised Goats I found this out the hard way, We had to start injecting our animals with Folic acid, They were not getting it from the food they ate. I have also been informed that folic acid is the #1 deficiency in the world. Alcohol consumption depletes the body of folic acid as does medications, among other things.

My husband was just past Diagnosed with bone marrow cancer..
To make a long story short, He was having to go for blood transfusions every 6 days, He's now taking extremely large doses of Folic acid and B12, B6, He has now gone almost 2 weeks without a blood transfusion. One of the major symptoms of folic acid deficiency is Bone marrow Cancer, We found this out the hard way.

If you are lacking in Folic acid then your gonna be lacking in your B vitamins too. They most always go hand in hand, That's one reason why you must take B12 with folic acid. Another reason being Long term usage of folic acid without the added B12 can cause permanent damage.So be sure to take it with B12.
Check this link out for more info about Restless leg syndrome ,,,,
http://www.aliv … _bread_cramb=125

I take an herbal supplement called valerian. It smells horribly but it relaxes me and my legs enough to fall asleep. Good luck.

I have it as well. I have heard that SOAP at the foot of your bed works. It sounds ridiculous, but it works. I place a bar of Ivory soap near my feet and lo and behold it does the trick.

Additionally, if it hits before bedtime, I take HYPERICUM PEFORATUM homeopathic remedy. It is gone within 10 minutes

My husband had a severe problem with RLS. It was disturbing his sleep so much, he had to take Quinine for it, prescribed by his dr, for a couple of years. Please note: there is natural quinine in club soda too.

However, what really helped him was to go off all caffeine. After he did that, the RLS stopped almost immediately. He's never had an issue with RLS since.

He'll drink non-caffeinated pop/coffee, and it doesn't bother him at all.

If you drink a lot of coffee/tea/pop, maybe you have a caffeine sensitivity?

Hello!

Ok, I know I'm crazy, so let me get that over with right now! But, after a whole life around livestock, I started worming myself. Now, I tend to use a type of horse wormer that's safe--according to doctors and vets--but I'm not necessarily recommending that. There are great herbal people wormers out there. But here's the bottom line.

I used to get the creepy crawlie feeling in my legs, and they'd itch and jerk. I took the wormer and it quit. One time I had a nasty crawling feeling in my arm right by my elbow. I took the wormer and it quit.

So--am I nuts? Possibly, but it's worth checking into. Humans can get a parasite load just as easily as animals--and quite frankly, the horses don't eat papaya's from who-knows-where or foreign strawberries or...well, you get the picture!

Check it out on line! Good luck!

i just found this :
http://www.yout … ch?v=b5LaD83HO1E
caution: the comments are not exactly "wholesome"

I rub Vicks on my legs. Started doing that in my teens before I knew it was a "condition". That was 50 years ago. It's still helping me.

RLS (Restless Leg Syndrome) is now a recognized medical condition. I tried most of the above suggestions without resolve. My doctor now has me on a medication specifically for Parkinson's Disease. The med. is called Mirapex, and the results are miraculous. I am curious to know if anyone else is on anti-depressent medication also? There seems to be corelation between the two.

My pathologist (which is a vitamin and herb specialist ) gave me my answers. He claims you need magnesium. I started 2 wks ago and now I am restless legs free. I tried the bar of soap also but if the bar starts to get smaller you need to change the bar. So now I have added the vitamin and walla...works for me.

I tried valarien and no caffeine for my husband because although his restless legs don't bother him at all. It makes it impossible for me to sleep. Unfortunately neither helped. Next I'll try the folic acid B combo.

I have a neurologist who is great. He has me taking Requip. The dosage is low enough I can take 4 throughout the day. My case is severe. I have tried Mirapex and others but they caused a side effect of retaining too much fluid which caused swelling. Keep checking with your doctor and find a good neurologist. I have had entensive testing and there is no medical reason for this syndrome. It is suspected to be hereditary and other family members have it also. Good luck.

Hi read in the paper some person had the same problem and drank gartoaid (the sports drink) what the person does is when it starts gets up and drinks a glass and if feeling is not done drinks another. The soap thing does work but some people it bothers their legs in the morning. What the drinks does is put stuff back in your body you lost. Hope it helps Where I got it is from I think Dr. Groff from the reading eagle newspaper

Hi I have suffered from this for years, my dad had it and also my daughter has it. You can take a pain killer and that will give you relief and a good night sleep, but not ideal every night.

Or you can walk round the house a little, this will also give a little relief, but other than that not a lot is going help. I put up with it then when it gets really bad take the pain killer. Lots of people suffer from this and most of them seem to have back problems.

Does anyone have a home remedy for Restless Legs Syndrome? I have a prescription, but tend to build up a resistance to them and need to take a break from them. Unfortunately, there's no sleeping without them. I need help!

By Cricketnc from Parkton, NC

I have twitchy legs at night, my doctor says its not RLS. It seems to start in my lower back and go all the way down my legs, I can feel it in my hips, my groin, my knees, and it's a painful hurt. I personally think it's a nerve problem on one side, but now the other side is acting up as well. If I don't move my legs when they feel they need to move, it seems to "hurt". I sleep on a heating pad (on my hips) and take half a Vicodin every night before bed. It's starting to not help with the Vicodin and heating pad anymore. Any remedies I can try that anyone can think of?

By Trisha H

Does anyone have a homemade or natural remedy for restless leg syndrome? I have had RLS for most of my life. Until recently I was taking Requip and was extremely satisfied with how much it helped. About 4 months ago I changed doctors and the new one told me to come off the Requip, along with several other meds I had been taking because she didn't want me on anything she herself didn't prescribe, but she wouldn't prescribe the Requip or anything else for the RLS.

I have since quit that doctor (many reasons) and have gone back on the Requip (my pain doctor gives it to me). However suddenly I can't take it anymore. Whenever I do, I spend the entire night throwing up and the whole next day severely nauseated.

I need something natural or homemade that I can take. Right now I'm back to pacing the floor most of the night and not getting more than a few minutes sleep at a time.

Can anyone help me? I'm desperate!

By Cricket from NC