Home Remedies for Warts

Category Home Remedies
Treating a wart at home.
Warts are typically hard almost skin colored bumps, caused by one of the human papillomavirus (HPV) strains. There are many treatments for them including home remedies. This is a guide about home remedies for warts.

My son had a wart and a friend told me to put a banana peel over it and cover with bandage. I did and it was gone in a week. A friend also uses them to whiten her teeth. She rubs the inside of peel all over her teeth leaves on for ten minutes and then brushes them.

By Coville123 from Brockville, Ontario

Top Comment

This is an interesting remedy and I'll certainly try it. My only concern is that having a moist and sugary banana skin, no matter how small, in your shoe would encourage the growth of fungus and bacteria. This is of special concern for diabetics with small cuts on their feet.

I'm so excited! I just got rid of a wart in 4 days! It dried up and came loose. Now I have a little hole in my hand but I couldn't wait until it heals to share this information.

Years ago, my mother-in-law told me about Sheep Sorrel for removing warts. Our daughter had one on her finger and I was going to make an appointment with a doctor to have it removed. Grandma found some Sheep Sorrel, which grows as a weed in the grass in our area, and we applied it to the wart. It killed it and the wart was gone in a few days. A friend at the office had a wart on her arm and she was going to make an appointment to have it removed. I picked some Sheep Sorrel for her. She tried it. The wart dried up and fell off.

I have had a small spot on my hand that I thought might be an embedded wart but it did not bother me until recently when it began to grow and I would hit it with my fingernail. It was getting in my way a lot.

Monday morning, I went Sheep Sorrel hunting and found some in a neighbors yard. I picked some and put it in a zip lock bag and brought it home. I took 3 pieces and rubbed it on the wart until the juice got it wet.

I put a damp paper towel in the bag with the Sheep Sorrel and kept it in the refrigerator. I treated the wart several times each day and today, which is Thursday, it dried up and came loose. What a relief it is to have that wart gone. Now I have a hole in my hand that will be healed in a few days. I'm going to continue rubbing the Sheep Sorrel juice into the area until it is healed.

I couldn't wait until it's completely healed to share this information because the frost will kill the Sheep Sorrel and we won't be seeing it again until spring. Someone might like to try this.

You can Google Sheep Sorrel and get more information. I haven't seen that it will remove warts. Now that I have tried it, I know for a fact, it does.

Top Comment

I have no idea if this will help anyone - the writer used fresh leaves - but you can buy sheep sorrel powder on Mountain Rose Herbs. It doesn't say anything about wart removal.

My husband can't seem to get rid of these warts on his knee. We've let the Derm Dr. freeze them, but it didn't help. In fact, they are multiplying. What can we do?

By Kelsie from Grand Blanc, MI

Best Answer

Put some duct tape over them and leave it all day, remove only at shower time and reapply. It takes several days but our doctor told us to try this and it really does work and so simple and inexpensive!

Anonymous
Best Answer

At this point I am not sure if home remedies are going to work because they sound like seed warts to me. It would be best to go to the physician and have them cut out from below the surface. I had a seed wart once and their root is fairly far below the surface of the skin.

Best Answer

I had terrible warts on my feet. I had them frozen off they came back, tried every medication prescription & on the market, they wouldnt go away. Finally I tried clear nail polish, a thick coat, every night for a month. Guess what? They went away.

I am looking for home remedies for warts.

By Jen from Detroit, MI

Answers:

Home Remedies for Warts

Bandaids change them every night. (02/23/2010)

By anniemc

Home Remedies for Warts

I have had great success with a product called Cell Food liquid oxygen drops applied topically. Soaking the wart in apple cider vinegar works, too. I got rid of a cluster plantars warts on my foot using an apple cider vinegar tablet taped with duct tape. (02/23/2010)

By dlginlove

Home Remedies for Warts

I too have heard about good results with the duct tape method as mentioned. peoplespharmacy.com (02/23/2010)

By Kaelle

Home Remedies for Warts

Try the duct tape, and I know it has to be the silver kind. And if that doesn't work, go to your pharmacist. There are several kinds of over the counter products that work very well. (02/27/2010)

By louel53

Home Remedies for Warts

Sheep Sorrel is a weed that will be sprouting out in the spring. It gets its name from the leaf being shaped like a sheep's head. You can research it on line by typing in Sheep Sorrel.

Take the leaf and rub it on the wart until the wart turns green from the juice. The juice kills the wart and it will go away.

This is a home remedy from my mother-in-law in the 70s. It worked on my children and some friends, as well. (02/27/2010)

By Hate Litter

RE: Home Remedies for Warts

How do I get rid of like 100 warts on my leg?

Danielle W. from Hickory, NC

Answers:

Home Remedies for Warts

I used an aspirin crushed up on a band aid for 3 days straight, with new aspirin each night and it made my wart go away. (04/29/2008)

By dee

Home Remedies for Warts

Warts are caused by a virus. So until you kill the virus they will keep spreading and growing. The best way I've found for Plantar warts is to have them frozen by a dermatologist. I guess you can also use acid sold for this purpose. But its not as effective even if you use prescription strength.

(04/30/2008)

By Carol in PA

Home Remedies for Warts

What kind of warts are we talking about? The kind of tan/reddish soft ones? those are viral warts known as skin tags. You go to the doctor for those not a regular doc, but a dermatologist.
Other kinds of warts, like the whitish/clearish hard ones. There are a lot of different stuff for those OTC. Ask the pharmacist.

Now, this might sound odd, but my Grandfather, from Ireland had me rub a penny on the wart 22 times then throw it over my left shoulder with my right hand and not look back for it. In about two weeks the wart was gone.
My theory is that it was the copper from the penny that killed it, so if you try it, make sure it's one of the old (like 60's or 70's) pennies.

Good luck. (05/01/2008)

By Shosha

Home Remedies for Warts

A dermatologist had one of my family members drink "Instant Breakfast" and also, had him put banana peals on the warts. But if you have that many, it could be cause for concern. I would consult a doctor at least one. (05/02/2008)

By bailegirl

Home Remedies for Warts

I have a wart on my knee for probably 5 years now and always tried hiding it from others when I wore shorts or swim trunks. Once I bought Dry Ice and placed it directly on my wart and it hurt very badly, but did start to shrink. It did regrow though, then I tried cutting it off with a knife, also ineffective and very painful. Well hiding a big wart on my knee was harder then I thought, eventually I stopped wearing shorts and still will not wear shorts due to the embarrassing wart.

I read up on the apple cider vinegar and duct tape treatment. Seeing as how I am already drinking 2 Tablespoons of apple cider vinegar anyways I had some in my fridge ready to start the wart removal treatment. Now 4 days later my wart is half the size it was and also is turning brown and has spots all over it so I figure it's working. It has become very painful, but seeing results this quickly makes me fight through the pain. I am sure in 2 or 3 more days the pain will stop and the wart will turn completely black and fall off and I will finally wear shorts again. Texas is very hot and pants in the summer is not the ideal apparel in the hot sun. Thank you for all your posts. (05/15/2008)

By Wart-Free in 3 days and counting!

Home Remedies for Warts

My cousins used to do this and it worked. The warts did not come back.
I have been lucky not to get them.

Get a fig off the tree and when fig is green/not ripe. At the very top of it where stem is, break stem off and put the liquid (white fluid from top of fig), directly on to wart. It goes away after doing this a few times in one week. The tree was a California black mission fig. Good luck. (06/14/2008)

By meoowmom

Home Remedies for Warts

My son had "kissing warts" on 3 toes for over a year. He had been told they couldn't be burned off because it would disfigure the toes. His big toe and second toe were almost covered and were extremely misshapen. We tried a couple things the dermatologist prescribed and there was no change at all.

Finally I tried the liquid inside dandelion stems and after about two applications patches started coming off. It left smooth skin behind, not raw or anything. It has been about a week and a half and I expect in the next few days, all three toes will be clear of the warts. People say to squeeze the liquid out, I can't really get enough. I just open the stems of several dandelions and rub it on. (06/14/2008)

By vlbickford

Home Remedies for Warts

I have a wart on my nose and three on my hand. I've tried all sorts to get rid. I used fucidife cream and that really helps, also. I put toothpaste on my nose wart an it's going down really well. (02/22/2009)

By Bethany

Does anyone have some home remedies for removing warts. I have noticed a few tiny ones on my hands.

Melissa Perez

Answers:

Home Remedies for Warts

I think the freeze-off method is best, although you have to pay $15.00 - $20.00. This is what the dermatologists do. The warts don't grow back or leave a scar, and it's quick and easy. (07/27/2005)

Home Remedies for Warts

I have had plantars warts on my feet and have had them froze off several times. I finally found a Doctor that told me to take a Tagament once a day. In about two weeks, the warts were gone and have never grown back! (07/27/2005)

By Guest

Home Remedies for Warts

This may sound strange, I had a wart on my knee. I went to the Ocean, {Cape Cod} spent the entire day in the water, within 3 days my wart was gone. It is known to be good for healing wounds ect. also. Best of Luck (07/27/2005)

By crazybest

Home Remedies for Warts

I was just at the Dr yesterday with my son who has a
patch of plantars warts on his heel. The Dr told me
to put a piece of duct tape on the patch and leave it
for six days on and then one day off and then a
fresh piece for six days on and one day off and
repeat until the warts are gone. I would think this
would work on a wart anywhere on the body. The
question would be if you want to go around with
duct tape on your hand! (07/27/2005)

By Cindy S.

Home Remedies for Warts

As a youngster, my son had a number of warts on his hands. After having them removed by a dermatologist, with scars left each time, we went to a different doctor. He told me the warts will eventually go away on their own. He was right! It takes a while though, so you need to be patient. (07/27/2005)

By Jo

Home Remedies for Warts

The duct tape method mentioned by Cindy is great, but before you apply the duct tape use something to rough up the skin on the wart, and put some inexpensive wart remover on it to get it started. It allows the Process to go quicker. This is from an MD (07/27/2005)

By Angellfire

Home Remedies for Warts

I had planter warts on my feet and was going through many treatments of freezing them off and they were getting worse plus the pain the days following them being froze and then the tape you have to put on them that is some sort of acid at which made the skin very sensitive and sore. Well I read about a home remedy of soaking my feet n vinegar and then taking a cotton ball with vinegar on it and taping it to the area and with just a few days the warts were all gone and so far after 3 years has never returned and it left no scar tissue at all at which the doctor was concerned that with the freezing method I would have scar tissue in an area that would not allow me to wear any sort of heel on the future. I swear by this method for I had a very bad case of warts and they just disappeared, the doctor was amazed. (07/27/2005)

By gentlehrtd

Home Remedies for Warts

I am interested in the vinegar treatment. Please tell me which kind of vinegar and how strong to soak.
thanks,
Ellen (07/29/2005)

By eplitt

Home Remedies for Warts

Hey guys. duct tape works if you can get it to stay because warts need air to live but they are a virus and vintager is an anti-bacterial not an anti viral, so the best bet would be to get the doc to shave off the excess on the planter if on your foot then superglue duct tape cut a little bigger than the wart to your foot and keep it there till the wart dies (07/31/2005)

By nic

Home Remedies for Warts

Those little tiny wart like bumps you get on your hands mean your diet needs some vitamins. I get them once in awhile when I'm not eating properly and spending time in the sun . They go away on there own so don't pic them and they'll be gone in about a week
(07/31/2005)

By nic

Home Remedies for Warts

Apply the sap from a milk thistle every morning and evening to the affected area. It seems to make the warts shrink and disappear. (08/19/2005)

By Cathy

Home Remedies for Warts

I've taken a lot of warts off .10+ with vinegar, put white vinegar, in a alcohol cap/any cap=small amounts, break off a plastic fork tine, for a applicator. Put a drop of vinegar on the wart, enough to make a water bubble over the wart, like a drop of water on the skin.

Let it dry , re-apply, 2-3x ,.do this each day till the first layer of skin is easily picked off , with a alcohol wiped needle. the vinegar kills the first layer of skin. then wait a day, if the new layer is to sensitive, to re-apply.

Then re-apply the vinegar, (drop), etc, until you go through, as many layers of skin until , the wart is gone. it may come back if you didn't get it all, but re start the process, till it is gone.may take 1-3 months, but hey, it is a heck of a lot better than , burning them off, and getting a life long scar, and better than the incredible pain of freezing them off!

The wart may get a little reddish, it doesn't like being killed, so use your head, to know wen to stop for a while...you can always return to the treatment later. its you or the wart, and the wart has to go!:)

Also put the cap of vinegar in the refrigerator, it will make the amount of vinegar last longer and not stink up the house:). Put it on a yogurt lid so it doesn't fall through the refrigerator shelves (08/22/2005)

By fred heidrick

Home Remedies for Warts

My son had lots of warts on his hands and feet. We took a potato and every time he would think about it he would make a fresh cut in a potato and rub the juice on his warts, he did this until they were completely gone and they have never came back. I would use it at least 3 to 4 times a day. It does take time so be patience. (05/10/2006)

By pseres

Home Remedies for Warts

Super glue works best because its cuts off the supply of oxygen. Apply super glue to wart and it will go away. you may need to apply more than once if you find the glue has come off. This actually works. (06/24/2006)

By Adam.

Home Remedies for Warts

If you have warts on your hands or on your feet, it's best to use nail polish (clear polish) use it for about 2 weeks and it really helps the wart to disappear. Make sure you took the polish over and around the wart to heal up faster.

(07/30/2006)

By Carmen

Home Remedies for Warts

Umm how about planters warts? Anyone have anything for that?
(12/07/2006)

By Mark

Tagament worked for my son

Tagament prescribed by a doctor worked for my son for plantar warts (it works best on children for some reason), and it helped for me but didn't get rid of all of them. (02/13/2007)

By me

Home Remedies for Warts

Has anyone tried using a small grinder? (06/10/2007)

By

Home Remedies for Warts

An old fashioned remedy is to tie a piece of cotton tightly around the base of the wart, leave it alone and it will fall off. Also warts are contagious and after touching them wash hands, Its a know fact that a wart can appear in another area years after touching one. (06/18/2007)

By dj

Home Remedies for Warts

Apple cider vinegar (ACV) worked miraculously on two warts on my fingers. I paid a doctor $600 to cut then freeze them, and they came back. But I soaked a pea sized piece of cotton ball in ACV and taped it to my finger with waterproof medical tape. I slept with it for 2 nights. After the first night, both warts had turned brown/black and were quite sore. One had a LOT of pus leaking out. I skipped the third night, then repeated the vinegar the 4th night. After that, my fingers were too sore to do it for an entire night, so I put in on for a couple of hours for 2 more nights, and also dabbed some on with a q-tip during the day. Then I stopped treatment and just waited for 1 more week. Suddenly the dark brown warts loosened up and came right off. The bigger one left a deep hole in my finger. But now, about 3 weeks later, it is almost completely gone. Both warts gone - I expect the scar to be gone soon - and it cost $1.59 for a bottle of ACV. (07/15/2007)

By Karen

Home Remedies for Warts

I have removed several planter warts from my feet with potato. I cut a small piece of potato peel, about the same size as the wart, and taped it over the offender. I changed it every day. After about 10 days the skin around the wart was dead and fell away, taking the wart with it. No pain, no time off my feet. (01/02/2008)

By joe

Home Remedies for Warts

I had a wart on my hand. I soaked a cotton ball in apple cider vinegar then used a band-aid to tape it over the wart. I did this over the weekend. By Tuesday the wart was black and fell off easily. I used this same process on my young daughter. She had warts on her fingers and knees. It worked on hers too and they haven't come back yet! (01/24/2008)

By melissa

Home Remedies for Warts

My 18 year old son had at least 100 warts on his hands, I took him to a doctor who said all they could do is laser them off and the scar tissue could cause him loss of movement in his fingers. His sister a great germ-a-phobic, insisted he always use germx at work, where he began to work with her as his manager. After 2 weeks of germx many times a day, my son does not have 1 wart left. (01/26/2008)

By Vicki Morales

Home Remedies for Warts

Any kind of vinegar works really. Apple Cider or White. For some people it is painful, and for some it is not. I had a medium sized wart on the ring finger of my right hand, and it interfered with my writing. I had it for about 2 years, and whenever I would go to school, my finger would be sore from all the writing.

I got pretty tired of it, so I googled "home remedies for warts" and found the cotton ball vinegar duct tape method. Cut the cotton ball down to the size of your wart and soak it in vinegar. Squeeze out the excess vinegar so the ball is damp. Place it on the wart and cover it completely with duct tape so that no air is able to get in. It might be painful: for me it was; I had to remove it after a few hours because of the pain.

Within a few days, there were little black spots in the middle of the wart and it became hard and scab like. I picked it off and reapplied the vinegar and waited. It soon turned black and I picked it off. There was a small indentation for a while afterwards, but it healed nicely. All you can see of it now is a barely noticeable scar in the middle of my finger prints. It is truly a miracle cure! Hope it works for you. I know how painful and irritating warts can be. (03/01/2008)

By Amanda