To Top

Home Repair Assistance for Low Income Families

I am a single mother and grandmother, living in a two bedroom home. The house is old, in need of repair, no water running in anywhere but the bathroom, tiles falling down, and floor needing repair. I have 17 grandchildren and can only have a couple over at one time. I live in Center, Texas, in Shelby county. Is there any assistance available for home repair and maybe a room added on for me? I have a job, but I make only $10 an hour.


We are giving away $200 in Amazon gift cards (US only) for people who answer recent questions on ThriftyFun this month! Click here to find out more...

Add your voice! Click below to answer. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!

September 17, 20160 found this helpful

The National Counseling On Aging has a free resource site:
This site is a confidential and free and easy resource service to help people 55 years and older locate and apply for benefits. There are numerous financial assistance programs, both public and private, that can help struggling Seniors trying to make ends meet. The site has information on more than 2000 programs. Many are available to anyone in need who qualify, while others are available only to older adults and can help them retain their independence.


Benefit Types:
Food Assistance, Health Care, Prescription Drugs, Utility Assistance, Supplemental Security Income (SSI), low income housing, tax relief, respite care, free legal assistance and many other benefit programs are available.
To use the site, you enter basic information about the person in need-date of birth, zip code, and check boxes for what the person needs assistance with. The site generates a report instantly, listing links to the programs and services that the person may qualify for.
Some assistance programs can be applied for online while other have downloadable form to be printed and mailed, faxed or emailed in, and some require you to contact the program directly.
Benefits Enrollment Center
It is also possible to get help in person at a Benefits Enrollment Center. There are currently 36 centers in 24 states and 12 more will be added in 2016. Visit the online site for locations:

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
September 23, 20160 found this helpful

I am in need of house repairs. I am disabled and taking care of two grandsons 9 and 10 year old. My mother passed away January and left me our family home. This house is over 60 years old. I need help very bad. I just can't afford to fix it up. I only ge a little bit of income. Please help

Reply Was this helpful? Yes

Add your voice! Click below to answer. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!

Related Content
In This Guide
Home and Garden Repair HomeSeptember 17, 2016
Thanksgiving Ideas!
Halloween Ideas!
Ask a Question
Share a Post
Desktop Page | View Mobile

Disclaimer | Privacy Policy | Contact Us

© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Published by .

Generated 2017/10/19 11:49:57 in 1 secs. ⛅️️
Loading Something Awesome!