Homemade Chicken and Vegetable Soup Recipe
This is a guide about homemade chicken and vegetable soup
. This delicious soup is quick and easy to make. Plus it can be varied based on what vegetables you have on hand.
Share on ThriftyFunThis guide contains the following solutions. Have something to add? Please share your solution!
This is an easy chicken soup recipe. It can be made stove top or in the crockpot for those busy days. Our soup varies each time I make it based on ingredients on hand and which kids are home to eat it; as some don't eat corn, some don't eat peas.
Prep Time: 45 minutes
Cook Time: 4 hours
Total Time: 5 hours
Yield: 1 gallon
- 1 whole chicken
- 1 can corn
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 stalks celery, diced
- 4 carrots, grated
- 1 can peas
- salt or seasoning salt
- noodles or rice
- Boil chicken in water until well done. You can cook on the stove or in the crockpot, whichever suits your time schedule.
- When chicken is done, skin and debone chicken. Save the water it was cooked in, which is now your chicken broth. Set bones and skin aside to freeze for soup stock for future soup. Cut or shred chicken into small pieces.
- Skim any skin and fat off the top of the remain broth. You can set the broth in the refrigerator to allow fat to harden and remove the fat, or you can skim it off with ice cubes.
- Dice and add your choice of vegetable ingredients. Suggestions are carrots, corn, onion, celery, and peas.
- Add your pepper and other chosen seasonings here. I wait to add salt if I am using any commercially canned foods, as often salt has already been added to those. After it cooks a bit, I find I often don't need it.
- At this stage, you can either continue to cook your soup for at least 4 hours in the crockpot, or until done on the stove top; or you can put into the crockpot and set it in the fridge overnight. The next day you can start the crockpot and have it ready when you come home from work.
- If you want to add noodles precook them for the crockpot and add last. If cooking on the stove top, add them into the pot towards the end without precooking.
- If you want to add rice, precook and add last.
- This soup also freezes and heats up well. If you chose to make ahead to freeze, do not add noodles or rice before freezing. Wait and add them at the time you reheat it.