DairyRecipes

Homemade Cottage Cheese

This is a quick and easy way to make cottage cheese at home without the use of starches or animal rennet. I just adore cottage cheese so I am making this constantly. The splash of heavy cream (or half and half) at the end is completely optional, but I find it takes it to the next level. Yum!

Feel free to double this recipe to make two cups of cottage cheese. It multiplies well. I usually make use of the milk that is soon to hit its expiration date, as I did in this version.

Total Time: 45 minutes

Yield: 1 cup

1. Pour milk into a large saucepan over medium heat. Bring up to 180 F. Stir while heating to keep milk from scalding.
  2. Remove milk from the heat and slowly pour in the vinegar. Stir it slowly for a couple minutes. The curds and whey will separate (if not, add some more vinegar). Cover and allow to sit at room temperature for 20-30 minutes.
  3. Pour the mixture into a colander lined with a tea towel and allow to drain for 5 minutes.
  4. Rinse with cold water, until the curds are completely cooled. Drain and squeeze well.
  5. Transfer to a bowl and add salt to taste, stirring and breaking up the curds. Add cream or half and half just prior to serving.

Attosa, isn't it the curds you rinse - not the whey? :)
Marg from England.

AHHH! haha Marg thank you for catching that! YES YES YES the curds! :D

I fixed it. :)

Thanks a million, as always, Jess :)