Homemade Cough Drops

If you can't pronounce the ingredients, chances are you probably don't want to be putting it into your body. I read some of the ingredients in the cough drops I usually buy and was not too happy. I usually go through quite a bit of these, especially during allergy season to sooth my irritated throat.

Well these work great, taste wonderful, and are completely natural, even good for you! One of the ingredients is coconut oil, which improves immunity by fighting viruses. Bonus! Try these, I think you will be pleasantly surprised. They taste so good I even use them as a quick treat sometimes. Nice little pick me up. :)

Total Time: About 1 hour

Yield: Around 40

Source: Pinterest

1. Bring your honey and coconut oil to a boil in your pot.
  2. Advertisement

3. Reduce to a simmer and cook until your thermometer reads *300 F. This will take around 15 minutes or more. Be sure to whisk the entire time. Remember when you clip your thermometer to your pot that if your end is on the bottom of the pot, it will give you a false reading. You want the end in the mixture, but not touching the bottom.
  4. Pour your mixture on a greased cookie sheet.
  5. You will of course want to let it cool for a few minutes so you can handle it. Stirring it around with a spatula will speed the cooling time up.
  6. Advertisement

7. Important to remember, you only have a few minutes before this mixture sets up. It is important to work fast! Tearing off small pieces of the mixture, shape it into the desired size. A little football maybe?
  8. Or press it a little flat in the center?
  9. The key is to let them rest on parchment paper when cooling. I tried greased wax paper, everything! The "only" thing these will not adhere to like cement is parchment paper. It is available at your grocery store.
  10. When cool, wrap them like candy in a small square of this paper to store them in your air-tight jar. This part was actually really fun, they look so cute and old-fashioned wrapped up.:)
  11. Advertisement

12. You can easily make a label for your jar by taping on a nice picture from an old magazine.
  13. Then cut a label with a cookie cutter stencil from a grocery bag.
  14. Tie a piece of twine and ribbon around the top.
  15. All set! Nice large jar for you cough drops!

Awesome! Gotta try this.

Excellent, hope to try it!

Sounds awesome. I am saving this to try this fall.

I've always sipped on a lemon juice and honey syrup. By heating the honey your taking out the medicinal properties. Plus with the lemon juice you get a shot of vitamin C.

Be sure to get local honey from near your home. That way you get help with protection from many of the allergies near where you live.

There is absolutely no reason to waste money on organic coconut oil since it has no nutritional advantage over non-organic coconut oil. Furthermore, a search of Medline shows no known benefit of coconut oil (vs any other kind of oil) for treating throat irritations or the common cold.

A bit of canola oil will be just as soothing. You don't even have to use honey. You can use corn syrup, jam, or any other liquid thick enough to coat the throat. One of my patients reduce fruit juices until it becomes syrupy. He then adds gelatin or pectin to make a gummy bear-like lozenge. The pectin adds a bit of soluble fiber.

Anonymous

Honey and coconut taste a hell of a lot better than canola or what ever, cooking oil u said and honey has been used for hundreds of years to sooth the throat coconut oil has vitamins and they all taste better that cooking oil ever heard of a hot toddy been used forever for a sore throat. Think be for u spout u use ur nasty canola oil for ur sore throat

Health & Beauty Home RemediesApril 29, 2015
😎
🐛
🌻
📓
😷
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Homemade-Cough-Drops-2.html