Homemade Dry Erase Boards

Category Miscellaneous
Money can be saved by making your own white board. This guide is about homemade dry erase boards.

Whiteboards are awesome items to have around the house. Uses range from chore lists to honey-do lists and reminders. If you don't own one already, I bet you already have one that you weren't aware of - your refrigerator!

Before you go writing all over it, test an inconspicuous small area to ensure its erasability. I attached the sticky side of a magnet to a dry erase marker so I don't have to scramble around looking for something to write with. My kid's chore list is on the front of ours so they don't need a verbal reminder of what they need to do. Hope this helps someone else too.

By Penni from Hillsborough, NC

I use a small tile for a dry erase board. You do not have to use dry erase markers. You can use color markers that are not permanent, like the kind the kids draw with. They are great for people to leave messages on, and the kids enjoy it a lot.

I have this one on a table on the porch. There is always a message there from me to the kids or from the kids to me. You simply wipe with a wet cloth, and it is clean. It doesn't wear out like a regular dry erase board. If you wanted to bring it in the house, I would attach felt to the back of it so as not to scratch furniture.

By Robyn from Hampton, TN

I use page protectors. Just put white paper or card stock inside the protector and you have a portable, cheap and double sided dry erase board. Another kind of board is to have a piece of card stock laminated. My local library has laminating services that are reasonably priced, if you don't own your own laminator (most people do not).

Staple a dollar store vinyl shower curtain to a piece of plywood for a quick and easy dry erase board.

By Monica from Cortez, CO

I have a lot of lists on my fridge and was going to buy dry erase white boards for each list... too expensive. So I purchased clear overhead transparency sheets and pens, Mounted them to the fridge with magnets.

Now for little cost I can have as many "white boards" I need.

You can make a dry erase count down tile to mark any upcoming event, such as a birthday. This is a guide about making dry erase count down tile.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? 1

White dry erase boards are costly, especially large ones. Instead, I stick white contact paper to the front of my refrigerator.

Dry erase markers work well on it and can be wiped with a damp cloth or special dry erase spray.

Is there a way to make a small (12" x 18") Dry erase board? (White surface markerboard)

The ones I have seen are so expensive.

Hank from Syracuse

Answers

By Linda (Guest Post)

At HomeDepot and other similar stores you can buy a 4' X 8' sheet of showerboard, used to line the inside of showers. The whole huge sheet is less than $15 and they will cut it into pieces for you.

You could use an old frame and have pieces cut to fit. Use the extras for gifts. I even took a whole sheet and attached it to the wall of my classroom where I needed a whiteboard.

By Cvonnie. (Guest Post)

If you are just wanting a small board to write reminders on you can use a file folder that has been laminated. You can use dry erase markers to write on the laminate and it will erase off with a damp paper towel.

By Coreen (Guest Post)

Small white boards are available at WalMart in the stationery section for about $3.00.

By ardis barnes (Guest Post)

Use a large picture frame with the glass in it. It also works on the bathroom mirror, which is a sure way to deliver a message to a family member or just a reminder to yourself

When I was tutoring & wanted small, portable white boards, I found I could use the backs of shiney white-coated portfolio covers. I also used a small white metal board, originally for magnets, found at yard sale. The white board markers worked quite well on these surfaces. You might experiment with other smooth, white surfaces, such as scraps of laminate.

By Sara beth (Guest Post)

Materials:
piece of corkboard
plastc binder dividor with pocket
piece of white paper
paste
magnets (optional)

Instructions:
take the plastic binder dividor with pocket and put the piece of white paper in the pocket. Now turn the divider over and all you see is the plastic part. Now take the paste (elmers rubber cement works best) and put it on one side of the corkboard. Now take the side if the dividor that has the pocket on it and glue it to the side of the corkboard with the paste. Note: Be sure you glue the side with the pocket not the side with the plastic!!!!

Optional: put sticky magnet on the back so you can magnetize it to your refridgerator!

Note: Dry erase markers ONLY!!! Any other marker will stain and never come off !!!!!!!!!!!"have fun and i hope this works for you!!"

By Mike (Guest Post)

Try www.DryErasePlus.com or www.JMLProductsAndDesign.com . They have dry erase skins that you can place on a board or binder to instantly create a dry erase surface. Their product also removes permanent marker, crayon and other writings without staining.
They have white surfaces and transparent surfaces that allow color, images, and lines to show through.