Homemade Minestrone Soup

Category Vegetable
Minestrone is a delicious vegetarian soup, full of vegetables. This recipe uses grated vegetables to make the stock. This homemade minestrone is so fresh and delicious you will be so glad that you didn't cook it from the can.

This soup is a favorite. A great vegetarian soup also. It is warming and comforting, and I really don't know anyone who doesn't like Minestrone Soup!

I made this in bulk so I could feed neighbors in need right now. But my recipe will be a regular family size recipe!

• For the stock: I grated the following; 1 medium carrot, 1 med. onion, 1 stalk of celery, a handful of basil leaves, 4 cloves of garlic, and 1 small green pepper.
  • 2 (32oz) cartons vegetable broth
  • 3 cups water
  • 2 cans stewed tomatoes, chopped, using liquid also
  • Seasonings to what you desire; tsp salt, pepper, thyme, rosemary, marjoram, oregano, Italian seasoning, parsley...
  • 4-5 large fresh carrots, not peeled, cut into 2 inch pieces, then cut into matchsticks
  • 1/2 turnip, cut into small cubes
  • 1 (5-6 oz) bag baby spinach, chopped
  • 1/4 cabbage, sliced, cut in half
  • 2 stalks celery, sliced thin diagonal
  • Have extra broth in case you need it
  • 2 cans small white beans
  • 1 can red kidney beans
  • 1 cup pasta (Ditallini)
  • Shredded Parmesan cheese for topping each serving

1. Using a large stock pot, start by mincing all the first vegetables on my list add first the cut up turnip, it takes longest to cook.
  2. Advertisement

3. Put all of these in the pot with a small amount of olive oil and strut until tender. Add the broth. Then add the chopped tomatoes and broth.
  4. Now it is time for seasoning; I always say season to your taste. The following seasonings are what I use; thyme, rosemary, basil, marjoram, oregano, Italian seasoning, black pepper, some salt after doing a test taste, and anymore of the seasonings I listed or what you like.
  5. Let this broth simmer for at least an hour. Test taste now for flavor. This is when I look for salt, spicy enough and acidity. I usually then add 2-3 Tbsp. of sugar. It is a great flavor enhancer!
  6. Advertisement

7. In the meantime, you should be preparing your next step; cutting up more celery, quarter onions, cut up carrots, slice cabbage, chop spinach, chop basil and anything else you want to add to your soup! Put it all in a large bowl.
  8. Time to add this all to your broth. Do not add pasta yet! Pasta goes in about 15 minutes before serving. Let this cook on low- med heat for another hour. Add more broth or water if the broth is evaporating.
  9. Add 1 cup of Dittallini pasta to your soup, bring to a boil and quickly lower to a simmer! Keep the cover off. After 15 minutes, remove from the heat and cover. It's ready to eat when you are.
  10. Advertisement

11. Delicious served with a spoonful of fresh shredded Parmesan cheese and garlic bread. Enjoy!

Food and Recipes Recipes Soups VegetableMay 24, 2020
😷
🎆
🌻
😎
👔
🐛