Homemade Thundershirt for Dogs

The Thundershirt is designed to calm an anxious or fearful dog. If you find them too pricey you may want to try making your own. This is a guide about homemade Thundershirt for dogs.

Do you have a dog with a fear of thunderstorms? There is a product on the market called a Thundershirt, but they are very expensive, so it may be too costly to buy one just to see if it will help.

You can try wrapping the dog snugly (like swaddling a baby, not too tight!) with an old T-shirt, towel, or even an Ace bandage just to see if the swaddling will work. That way, you can purchase the item with confidence that it will help. We tried it with our Jack Russell, and it worked like a charm!

By Miche' B. from Lawrenceburg, KY

This is amazing! I just went to the website to research the Thundershirt. I've never heard of them before. Thanks for sharing this. I wonder if they work on cats too?

The only thing is my dog is 80 lbs and I don't think I could wrap him up in anything. He is terribly frightened of thunder, rain and lightning. Firecrackers frighten him too.

If you find that your homemade wrap works, then why spend the money on the brand name shirt?

We just bought one at PetCo last week. It was $39 and and we were told if it didn't work we could bring it back with the box and receipt with- in 60 days for our money back. It has helped some after these few days. We'll keep it for 30 days to give it a good chance, then take it back if it doesn't. I think that is a fair trial. GG Vi