Homemade Watercolor Paints
Make sure your youngsters have a safe medium to work with when creating works of art. This guide contains homemade watercolor paints
Share on ThriftyFunThis guide contains the following solutions. Have something to add? Please share your solution!
February 27, 20171 found this helpful
When your colored markers get dried up, there is still a great way to some more fun craft uses out of them. This is a guide about making watercolor paints with dried up markers.
I volunteer at an daycare center for mentally handicapped adults and wanted them to experience painting.
Since watercolor trays have very little paint in each cell I researched and found recipes to make my own watercolors!
We all really enjoyed painting paper plates and plan on doing it again soon!
Total Time: 15 minutes to mix, plus 1 day to dry
Yield: a dozen individual cells
- 4 Tbsp baking soda
- 2 Tbsp white vinegar
- 1/2 tsp light or golden corn syrup
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch
- 4 each drops food coloring
- 1 egg carton, small muffin tin, or ice cube tray
- In a 2 cup measuring cup mix baking soda and vinegar. It will fizz awhile, just wait for it to stop.
- Add corn syrup and corn starch to the mixture and mix well until the corn starch has dissolved into the mixture. It will become this strange feeling mixture, not totally wet nor totally dry. Like Oobleck!
- I placed one teaspoon into each egg carton well. You may use small muffin tins or even ice cube trays if you prefer. You may certainly double that mixture for thicker little paint cubes with fewer cells. I was experimenting!
- I added 4 drops of food coloring to each cell just because I wanted vibrant colors. You may choose to make yours more pastel with a drop or two less.
- Mix the paint and dye well with a toothpick, Popsicle stick, or small demitasse spoon.
- Then I just set it aside for 24 hours. I did peek occassionaly and they looked great! At the end I could actually pop the paint out of the egg carton cells.
- They worked great! I painted this picture using them!
August 10, 20040 found this helpful
These watercolor paints are easy to make.Read More...