Honey Citrus Butternut Squash
Bake peeled butternut squash brushed with olive oil and seasoned with salt and pepper. Remove, score, and return to the oven. Finally it is basted with a honey citrus sauce topped with chopped walnuts and popped back in for the final finish. Try this mouthwatering recipe soon. Instructions are found below.
Diamond Post Medal for All Time! 1,246 Posts
December 12, 2019
This butternut squash has a lovely zing to it. The orange and lemon really pop, while the honey tones it down with a lovely, deep sweetness. I love adding chopped walnuts on top then popping it back in the oven to toast. Such a lovely crunch! This is a great side dish, but also makes a great entree.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour 30 minutes
- 1 butternut squash
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 2 Tbsp honey
- 2 Tbsp butter
- half an orange
- half a lemon
- 3 Tbsp chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 425 F. Peel the squash.
- Slice squash in half lengthwise.
- Scoop out the seeds and strings.
- Brush all over with olive oil, then sprinkle with some salt and pepper. Place on a baking pan, cut side down, and bake for 20 minutes.
- Juice your citrus halves and set aside.
- Remove squash from oven and finely score slices across the tops. Do not cut through all the way. Return to oven for 20 minutes. This will help open up the squash to really get infused by the honey citrus sauce we are about to make!
- In a saucepan over medium heat, melt together honey and butter.
- Shut off heat and immediately whisk in juice from the orange and lemon halves.
- Drizzle some of the honey citrus butter on top of the squash halves and baste into the slits. Pop in oven for 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and drizzle on some more. Return to oven for 10 more minutes.
- Brush one more time. Add chopped walnuts to the tops of the squash, then return to oven 10 more minutes, until golden in colour.
- Serve immediately, drizzling with any leftover honey citrus butter.
Published by ThriftyFun.
© 1997-2022 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.