How Do I Keep My Hair Color from Fading?

Category Coloring
Colored hair can require special care and products to keep it looking bright as long as possible. This guide contains advice about how do I keep my hair color from fading?

I colour my hair red and it always looks great for the first few days, but then the colour fades. I have used different brands and it makes no difference. My hair is oily so I have to wash it every day. Any tips how to prevent the fading?

By Ute White from Brockville, ON

Answers

Best Answer

Go to an art supply store and get a permanent ink such as India ink,in a color close to your own. Mix about 20 drops into 1 cup of shampoo, and use it when you wash your hair. It is subtle and wont radically change your color, but works as a "booster" for your color.

Best Answer

I'm a retired hair-dresser. If you go to a Sally Beauty supply store they have shampoo for red hair, it is red in color. I think the brand name is "Quantum". Years ago I had my hair red and I always used this type of shampoo and it really helped.

Now I have my hair blonde to cut down on the grey/color line. I still use this red shampoo because with my hair color it gives me a strawberry blond color that I love!

Best Answer

My aunt was a hairdresser for over 60 years. She always kept her hair colored red. What she didn't do was use shampoo on it very often, Instead, she just ran cool water through her hair and massaged it to rinse it. Remember it's your scalp that gets oily, not your hair.

My hairdresser has determined that she doesn't need to use an entire tube of hair color, but rather she used half and saved half. She didn't cut down on the amount of deleloper. She filled the developer to the appropriate line and then emptied half of the color in.

My hair color didn't seem to last as long this time and turned grayer faster. Was what she did correct?

Answers

Best Answer

She needs to use a 1:1 ratio of developer to color. She made a mistake. Have her redo it for free.