How to Catch a Runaway Dog

Sometimes our fourlegged friends get a notion to head out on an adventure, as soon as you open the door or as part of a reenactment of The Great Escape. This is a guide about how to catch a runaway dog.

Having trouble catching your dog when they take off outside? Next time this happens, get your dog's attention. Get them to look straight into your eyes, then turn and run back home. Don't look back, they want to know where your going and they will follow. It works for me every time!

By Kellie from Lake Erie Islands

My Frenchie has taken to not listening and bolts after a car he thinks I'm in. Story, I let my Frenchie out of the house and tell him to get into the car. He runs to the car, I open the door and he gets in. Today, when we went to my wife's work, he usually goes in and then comes out with me and gets into the car. Instead he ran around the corner, I followed him and got him started back to the car. Then he wasn't coming and when I called him to come, a car passed by. He looked at the car and started chasing after it. I had to run about a 1/4 mile to the stoplight, where the car had stopped. He was trying to get into the car. The car owner was nice enough to open the door and let him in, so I could catch him. This is the second time he has done this. Any suggestions for breaking this?

Answers

Your dog should be on a leash when he is out. You shouldn't allow him to run free like this. The only way to break him is have him next to you when you enter and leave a building. Don't take him off the leash until you arrive home and have him inside. I thought that there was strict leash laws and all dogs needed to be on one when you were out in public. I know I always had to keep my dog on a leash when I had him out. He was a small dog too, but I was told this was the law and they have this law so that your dog won't get hurt.

All dogs should be on leashes outdoors. You never know when a dog may be provoked or startled and take off.

Anonymous

Really, you've never had a dog get out of a fenced yard, or slip out the door. This dog is on the leash 99.9 percent of the time.

I'm talking about a incident that happened and need to be corrected. I've trained hunting dogs....just trying to come up with a solution encase he should get loose again.