How to Make Orange Clove Pomanders

Pomanders have been around for centuries, providing people great scents and aromatherapy. During the Great Plague, they were hung around in hopes of purifying the bad air. Today, there are many varieties available. These here are made from citrus fruits and cloves. They are easy to make, all-natural, and work wonders as moth repellents in your closets. Right before I was making this batch, I was feeling a bit blue. The aromas from the citrus and clove immediately perked me up, I kid you not. They make beautiful Christmas ornaments and decorations that last for years. And yes, they do keep smelling good the entire time. I hope you try making these, holiday or not!

Total Time: 45 minutes

1. Place orange on center of ribbon. Wrap your orange in ribbon and knot once.
  2. Cross the ribbon to tie it the other way around the orange (like a present), and knot again tightly on the other side.
  3. Give it another knot.
  4. Tie a bow and cut the ends so they're equal.
  5. Use your marking pen to make dots where you'd like your cloves to make a design.
  6. Poke those dots with a toothpick.
  7. Fill the holes with cloves.
  8. Make your way around the orange. You don't want the cloves too close together because the orange will shrink over time, causing the cloves to shift together.
  9. I like to break the heads off some of the cloves to make star shapes.
  10. Continue making more designs on other oranges. You can go freehand, too.
  11. If you'd like to hang them, tie another ribbon under the bow and hang. Alternatively, you can poke a wire through the entire center of the orange, looping the ends, then string to hang. Let these rest in very dry open spaces to avoid molding over the weeks. You can also dust them with ground cinnamon, which also keeps mold at bay (and smells so yummy).

I will have to make this :)

Please do-- they smell so good!

How do you dry the tangarines please?

Just dry them with a cloth after washing. You don't want a lot of excess moisture when you start assembling the pomander.

These orange clove pomanders bring back memories. Forty years ago I made these for gifts. I left no space for the orange to peak through and I rolled them in orris root. Let them completely dry out before I gave them away.

Great tip on rolling in orris. Cinnamon is a good one, too. I love that they brought back memories!

Hi Toosa, I made two of these, one for myself and one for a friend. They smell so.o.o. nice. Thanks and keep these ideas coming !!

I used a shish kebab skewer for poking the holes into the oranges, being less fragile and a little faster than using a toothpick. I'm just a little bit lazy :)

Not lazy--- smart!!! So happy you made these! x

I made these some years ago and found the orange shrank and fell out of the ribbon. Was it just me?
Marg from England.

Hi Marg! I haven't had that happen yet. You could pin the ribbons in in a few locations perhaps :)

Crafts MiscellaneousNovember 30, 2018
🌻
🐛
📓