How to Make a Plastic Milk Jug Flower
If you are looking for a simple centerpiece, these flower candle holders could be perfect. You would never know that these are made out of plastic milk jugs. You can even customize the pattern to your liking.
Share on ThriftyFunThis page contains the following solutions. Have something to add? Please share your solution!
September 5, 2018
I love plastic milk jugs because they are a lot like thick vellum paper, except they are free after you drink all your milk. ;) After cleaning, drying, and cutting, these milk jugs can make beautiful flowers. Placing a candle in the middle and using it as a votive holder is optional. If you're just making the flower, use a similar circular disc as the center flower pistil.
Total Time: 1 hour
Yield: 1 flower
- 1 votive candle
- scrap paper
- pencil or pen
- 1 plastic milk jug, thoroughly rinsed
- hot glue or instant adhesive
- To make the center of the flower, trace the votive candle onto the scrap paper.
- Draw petals onto the scrap paper in 3 sizes: small, medium, and large.
- Cut out the 4 shapes.
- Cut the milk jug into large pieces: 4 sides and the top and bottom. Dry any leftover water off with a towel.
- Place the scrap paper shapes onto the milk jug pieces and trace them for cutting. I did 1 circle, 7 small petals, 7 medium petals, and 6 large petals.
- Cut out all the shapes.
- Rough up the lowest part of the petals with sandpaper so they glue together better.
- Glue the small petals around the flower's round center.
- Glue the medium petals onto the round, between each small petal.
- Now, glue the large petals on, staggering once again.
- Flip the flower over and insert the candle (optional). Curve the petals upwards and hold.
- The petals will stay lifted. Enjoy!
September 5, 20181 found this helpful
Loved how this turned out :)
September 6, 20180 found this helpful
Me, too! I was worried at first it would look like... well, a cut up milk jug, but not at all :) Yay!
September 9, 20180 found this helpful
Neat! Love your clear instructions..
September 10, 20180 found this helpful
Thanks Betty! I hope you try these with your fam :)