Birds & Bird HousesGardening

Hummingbird Nectar Changed from Red to Clear

I used Perky Pet instant hummingbird nectar. It is usually red. I filled up the feeder 2 days ago, but yesterday was a hot day and today the nectar is clear. Is that normal? Does that mean it somehow went bad?

By Christina B

I make my own hummingbird water. 4 parts water to 1 part sugar. No red color! It is bad for them. Your feeder needs some red color but not the food. I boil the solution and let it come to room temperature then change the water every 3 days because it goes bad.

I don't know why it went from red to clear. But I do know that store bought nectar has red die in it which is harmful to hummers. You can make your own by mixing water and white sugar - 4 parts sugar to one part sugar. You can boil the water to help devolve the sugar if you like. Saves you money and our beautiful hummers.