Identifying a Segmented Casing or Cocoon?

Can anyone identify this? It is about 2-1/4 inches long and 3/4 inch wide. It was found on the ground in South-Central PA. It may have originally been hanging in a tree. That is only a guess based on the fact that there is a small protrusion at one end that could have been an attachment to a tree branch. I do not know if it is or is not an egg casing. Possibly someone with more knowledge of the subject can advise on that.

Best Answer

There are only a few insects that use a shell covering like this to protect them during the pupa stage. I would guess this is from a moth because butterflies don't use cocoons like this they are more soft and silky.

Thanks for the insight. This is the first time that I have ever seen a covering like this. The color reproduced in the photo is accurate and it is a relatively hard covering.

Anonymous

One day I took the dog's leash out of the Garage, noticing something like a cocoon (it almost looked like a seashell but dark) stuck to the leash. I decided to experiment; ever so lightly glued it to a stick and put it in a jar with air holes. Low and behold, a "Mourning Cloak" Butterfly emerged.

This is a moth cocoon- here are other fascinating cocoons- www.dreamstime.com/.../moth-cocoons.html

A moth. And since it's from central PA I would hazard it is one of the moths on this site here www.butterflyidentification.org/moths-by-state-listing.php?reach...

Photos GardenMarch 6, 2020
🌻
😎
😷
👔
🎆
🐛