Identifying Egg Casings or Cocoons

Category Insects
Identifying what kind of insect is about to hatch in your yard can be hard to determine. There are many fascinating cocoons to be investigated.

Can anyone identify this? It is about 2-1/4 inches long and 3/4 inch wide. It was found on the ground in South-Central PA. It may have originally been hanging in a tree. That is only a guess based on the fact that there is a small protrusion at one end that could have been an attachment to a tree branch. I do not know if it is or is not an egg casing. Possibly someone with more knowledge of the subject can advise on that.

Answers

Best Answer

There are only a few insects that use a shell covering like this to protect them during the pupa stage. I would guess this is from a moth because butterflies don't use cocoons like this they are more soft and silky.

I submitted a segmented egg casing or cocoon for identification a few weeks ago. The general consensus was that it is a moth. Thanks to everyone who responded.

Now I have a couple of others -- not segmented this time. They almost look like a leaf was used to form the cocoon. The size is about 2 inches long and 1 inch wide. They were found on the ground in south central PA. Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Answers

Best Answer

This does not (to me) look insect related. This looks like a seed pod from a plant. We get these--I am in western PA. They look like the seed pods from our day lily plants.

We are bad from taking them out when they stop blooming and eventually they form things that look like your photo when they are done. I know they are bulb flowers so these are (if I am remembering my 6th grade science right) it would be a seed that is the pre-bulb???

Since was not my strong point, sorry. If you google images for day lily seeds, what I see in my yard looks like what this is, which looks a lot like this.

Penn State has a great home extension office. Maybe show it to them. A link to the site is: www.psu.edu/.../gss?query=extension%20office

Post back what you learn! They probably are not open during this crisis... not sure...but you could try!

During quarantine I've been very busy in my garden. Because if this, I'm now raising ladybug larvae because I found their eggs in a rose I was trimming. But, now I've found this cocoon on a dying bush. I'm not sure it's viable or beneficial. I don't see any exit holes. I'd love to know what kind of creature is inside. I live near Sacramento, CA.

Thank you!

Answers

I believe it is a praying mantis egg case.

This indeed looks like a Praying Mantis Egg sac. Often praying are sought after for there nest to be sold to collectors.

Here is some info on this sought after insect - www.gardenmyths.com/.../

Home and Garden Gardening InsectsApril 11, 2020
👒
😷
👔
🌻
🐛

Generated 2020-04-26 10:28:56 in 2 secs. ⛅️️ ⚡️