Identifying and Treating a Dog's Skin Infection

My dog got this infection on the back side of her head. The vet thinks it's a fungus, we're waiting for the results. Does anyone have an idea what this is and how to treat it?

Thanks!

If it is a fungus, the vet will prescribe a fungicide for you. I would not treat your dog with anything not approved of by the vet.

Let you vet give you the answers and best treatment!! It looks sore...poor pupster!! I will add the pup to my prayers!

So happy you took her in for care!! Never mess with skin issues as they can go bad fast and infection can spread to the blood stream!

Let us know what the vet says!! Prayers!!

Thank you all, I already took her to the vet, but she wasn't sure and took a sample for a biopsy.
I was hoping someone else here would recognize it somehow :)

I would like to know what the vet told you. My golden has had a scabby skin infection 3 times in the last 6 months that turns into a nasty hot spot infection, vet said caused by a scrape of some kind. Gives him Antibiotic and Apoquel and it goes away, but another scab shows up within a month.

Said an expensive Autoimmune procedure is needed when i asked how can I stop this from recurring. If it is just allergies, then apoquel should work on a daily basis. I feel like I'm getting the run around for an answer or no real answer.

It looks to me like a yeast infection.

That's my guess too.
Thanks! I'll let you all know as soon as the results arrive.

Have you gotten the results back??

Anonymous

My dog has had one spot like this and vet gave her antibiotics but it is still there. Had puss come out and I put hydrogen peroxide on it.

She also scratches constantly and licks her paws. No hot spots or other problems. Any ideasm

I start on my dogs skin with cutting the fur to uncover the wound. These wounds can sometimes be spread easily, so practice being very sanitary. I then gently wipe clean the wound with a room teemperature wet washcloth. Next I pour hydrogen-peroxide on the wound. Let it sit for a moment. Pat dry with clean washcloth. Put triple antibiotic ointment on the wound. Repeat as needed. Usuallys clears in a week or so, depending on severity of spot.

My Shar pei mix has the same prob only it's getting worse! I feel like the vet is incompetent! One diagnosed her with mange, after $563.00 of blood work. I go back the main vet looks at her ( no second skin scraping) says she looks fine & there's no way she has mange.

We've been going through some terrible problems! She now has quarter size scabs on her back. I'm at a loss. I feel like a bad mom! I've started the sliver for immune support GOD HELP US LET THIS WORK!!!! Plus a change in diet No grains & some no grain refrigerated no grain foods. Please GOD let my baby get better!!!!!

Anonymous

My Shar pei mix has the same prob only it's getting worse! I feel like the vet is incompetent! One diagnosed her with mange, after $563.00 of blood work. I go back the main vet looks at her ( no second skin scraping) says she looks fine & there's no way she has mange. We've been going through some terrible problems! She now has quarter size scabs on her back. I'm at a loss. I feel like a bad mom! I've started the sliver for immune support GOD HELP US LET THIS WORK!!!! Plus a change in diet No grains & some no grain refrigerated no grain foods. Please GOD let my baby get better!!!!!

Pets Dogs HealthSeptember 24, 2018
💘
🍀

Generated 2020-01-04 10:05:09 in 1 secs. ⛅️️ ⚡️

HealthDogs