AdviceGardening

Information on a Golden Berry Plant

I bought a plant called golden berry. The assistant said it was a sort of tomato, but the fruit is enclosed by a papery shape, looks like a cape gooseberry. If it is are they edible? Any advice welcome.

From the information I can find, the golden berry and cape gooseberry are interchangeable names for the same type of plant. It is edible and can be used in various ways such as jams and pies and as fresh fruit in salads.

It is a superfruit from Peru that is nutritious. www.superfoodevolution.com/golden-berry-plant.html

On TV they call them a super food.

I haven't been able to find fresh ones where I am, but I just heard we have a new grocery store about 20 miles away that might have them.

They are supposed to be like a craisen only way better and are described as sweet and salty (which are my favorite combination next to cake and ice cream!!)

I haven't seen recipes, but people toss them into salads, on top of white pizzas, and bake them into blonde brownies (the kind with caramel chips or white chocolate) I am excited to see if this new store has them and if they are affordable.

Good luck with the growing!!!

It appears your plant is a real "super-food" and as luck would have it - it may even taste good!

• The plant or fruit cannot be easily found in all areas but I feel sure that will change as the demand will grow as more people become aware of its super-powers and that is really does taste good (to most people).
  • This is an excellent site for information about your plant:
  • www.superfoodevolution.com/golden-berry-plant.html
  • From a health web site:
  • A prominent feature is the inflated, papery calyx enclosing each berry. The calyx is accrescent until the fruit is fully grown; at first it is of normal size, but after the petals fall it continues to grow until it forms a protective cover around the growing fruit.

• If the fruit is left inside the intact calyx husks, its shelf life at room temperature is about 3045 days. The calyx is inedible.
  • It appears that Cape gooseberry can be made into fruit-based sauces, pies, puddings, chutneys, jams, and ice cream, or eaten fresh in salads and fruit salads.
  • Here are links to check out for information and how to use:
  • www.organicfacts.net/.../golden-berries.html
  • www.22daysnutrition.com/.../5-amazing-benefits-of-delicious-golden...

Thanks very much to all of you . What a fascinating plant - seems I did well for my 50p ( about 65 cents?). Will let you know if it tastes good, Cybergrannie!
Marg from England.

It is amazing to me that some useful plants have been around for many, many years and "we" are just recently finding out how good they are for our health (but still may taste good!).

I hope your plant "takes off" and produces lots of fruit so you can let us know what we are missing.