EducationalCrafts For Kids

Insect Stamping Activities

For every theme and holiday, I would incorporate new materials into my Pre-k classroom. The art center was definitely the easiest because just about anything can be used in art. One my students' favorite items to pull out were the stamps. I always kept numbers, letters, shapes, and other popular pieces for them to use.

During spring, I increased the amount of insect stamps, which always went over very well. During center time, students used the stamps just for fun or to create a representation of an insect book we had read. I also used the stamps in small groups and 1-on-1, to practice literacy and math skills. Being able to use such fun materials made the learning experience more exciting!

Total Time: 30-45 minutes

Yield: 5 activities (counting, patterns, literacy, just for fun stamping, and using paint)

1. To practice counting, draw 2-6 square sections on a piece of white construction paper. Add one digit in each section that you want your child to know. Your child then can stamp the number of insects of each number shown in their corresponding section.
  2. Ad

3. To practice patterns, draw three parallel lines, horizontally and five lines, vertically on a piece of paper. Cut the blocks into pattern strips, either making the rows 1x5 squares or 2x5. You begin a pattern with stamps on each strip and allow your child to complete them.
  4. To practice letters, sounds, and writing, first draw four sections on a piece of paper. Let your child stamp a different insect in each square. You can have them simply write the first letter of each insect in each square or sound out each word. For those in between these skills, you can write each insect name first and have your child copy it. Or take a highlighter and write each name, then have your child write over what you did with a pencil.
  5. Ad

6. And of course stamps can be used just for fun! If you don't have ink pads, try using paint like in my main photo. As long as you don't put too much paint on the stamps, the result is beautiful! I cut a full sheet in half to show these two.