Installing Linoleum

Category Flooring
As with any other flooring choice there are specific requirements for installing linoleum properly. This is a guide about installing linoleum.

I have old kitchen carpet (indoor-outdoor type) that is badly stained. Could I put linoleum over the top of if rather than having to take the carpet up first? The carpet is glued down.

By Sharon from Mackinaw, IL

Answers

Best Answer

Anytime you put down linoleum down it has to be on a smooth flat floor. If you don't it will show every imperfection and break over sharp edges. Even a piece of gravel will make a hole in your linoleum. As Lorelei said it has to be glued down with special glue.

Best Answer

Sorry, I worked in flooring for years, mostly carpets, but there were several times we had to rip up indoor/outdoor carpet for tiles and hardwood. It's alot of work but a necessity.

Best Answer

Thanks to all of you who replied back to me. Unfortunately you are right. Some I had not even thought about. Guess I'll go back to my original plan for now.

I'll get it cleaned professionally as best as can be since I'm getting the rest of the house cleaned too & let the new owners (if I decide to sell replace it w/ their preference). Thanks again.

You need to take up the carpet before putting down linoleum and glue it down.