Kale and Black Bean Soup
I made this soup because I found a huge 1 pound bag of trimmed kale on sale for 50 cents. I typically don't like stir-fried or baked kale because I feel I have a hard time ingesting it, often finding strands of it stuck between my teeth. But for 50 cents, I had to come up with a way to beat it. This came out SO good. Plus, it's easy to eat and there's nothing stuck in my chompers!
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 55 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour 5 minutes
Yield: 4-6 servings
- 1 Tbsp oil
- 1/2 medium onion, peeled and diced
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp chili sauce or hot sauce
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 6 cups kale, ribs removed and chopped to bite-sized pieces
- 1 can prepared black beans (about 1 lb)
- 3 cups broth
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup cooked chicken meat, chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 lime
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion and carrot. Cook until the onion is clear, about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic, chili paste, cumin and paprika. Cook for about 2 minutes.
- Add the kale to the pot. It will seem like a lot, but it will cook down very quickly. Stir for about 2 minutes.
- Add the broth and water. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer.
- Cover the soup and allow to cook for 40 minutes.
- Stir in the cooked chicken pieces and cook for 5 minutes with the lid off.
- Serve in bowls and squeeze lime juice on top.
Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!
Published by ThriftyFun.
© 1997-2020 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.