Keeping Green Beans

I love the farmer's market in our little town but it is only open on Fridays. I purchased some green beans. As I was getting ready to leave, I saw some more green beans that looked even better so I bought them too.

Before I purchased them, I asked the farmer how long would they keep in the refrigerator. He told me if I put them in a paper bag, they would keep in the refrigerator for 5 days. I didn't have a paper bag so I used a piece of newspaper to wrap them.

I took them out on Tuesday. They looked good and were still crisp. I cooked them for dinner and they were just as good as fresh from the garden.

On my next trip to the farmers market, I stocked up on enough green beans to last a week. We love fresh home grown green beans.

That's a good tip. Nothing is sadder than to find your fresh veggies all wilted and discolored in your crisper drawer.

Paper bags are scarce at my house so I'll remember to save newspaper to use instead.

This is good as I often hesitate to buy more than for one meal.

When I went to the farmer's market last Friday, I purchased enough string beans to last for 2 cookings. A few days after that, my neighbor brought us some more string beans so then, I had enough for 3 cookings.

I had already wrapped my extra for the week so I wrapped the ones she bought as well. I cooked her's first because I wanted to see how the others would hold up.

Today, I cooked the ones I purchased last Friday and they have been in the refrigerator wrapped in newspaper for over 7 days. They looked a little dry but after washing and cooking them, we could not tell the difference.

This is good to know because we are just beginning to get string beans from our garden, a few at the time. Now I can just add to them each day I pick them.

Food and Recipes StorageJuly 13, 2020
🐛
😎
😷
📓
🌻
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Keeping-Green-Beans.html

StorageFood and Recipes