Keeping Lettuce Fresh

Because I live alone, it's less expensive to buy a whole head of lettuce or leafy green vegetable than in a plastic bag all by itself. When I get the head of lettuce home, I cut the core end off and remove any leaves that are bad. I wring a small terry cloth towel out with cold water and wrap the head of lettuce in it. I then put the head of lettuce with the towel in a plastic shopping bag, press out the excess air, twist the top of the bag and fasten with a clothes pin or twistie. I put this in the refrigerator.

About every second day, I unwrap the lettuce and cut off any brown that may have appeared. I have kept lettuce for up to three weeks that are fresh and good. When you remove leaves, do not cut off with a knife. Just pull off or cut off with kitchen shears.

By Clara from Roswell, GA

My aunt taught me something similar. She said to cut out the core and then run water into the lettuce until it runs out of the head. Then wrap it in a clean kitchen towel and then into a plastic bag. I agree that it can stay fresh a long time with this treatment.

When I was a teenager working in a cafe, I learned that to keep lettuce longer you should core the head & not use a knife on it because the metal makes it turn brown. I didn't know about a damp towel though, I'll have to try that since it seems like our lettuce goes bad in a matter of day no matter what, thanks for the tip!

I take the lettuce out of the plastic and wrap it in foil and it keeps longer than anything else I have tried. And it doesn't even have to be totally covered.

Anonymous

Yes, me too! I'm not sure why but it works beautifully.

I live alone and also have a problems with lettuce and celery going bad before I finish using them. I have used foil to wrap lettuce and celery for several years and seems to work well for me. Also, I never use a knife on lettuce either. I pinch off the brown parts when needed and to easily remove the core just turn the head upside down and bang the core on the counter then twist it out of the head. Great way to also get out your frustration! :)