Keeping a Cat from Scratching Wound

My cat Poppy has a large wound on her neck close to the top of her head. A collar would not help because of the position of the wound. She scratches the scab off almost as soon as it has healed and it keeps bleeding. She scratches so much that the fur has come out around the wound.

She is an indoor cat and we have another who is also indoor. I think Poppy may have been hurt by the other cat, but I'm not sure. I would like to know how we can stop her scratching so the wound can heal?

By Tara from Aberdeenshire

One of my dogs had a wound and because of its location, a collar wouldn't work, so I put socks on the feet of my dog and used hair scrunchies to keep them in place whenever the dog went outdoors for potty breaks or walk around. I don't know if small sized socks for children would work for your cat, but I don't know what you could use to keep them in place.

I think your cat would still need to be watched, but it will keep the cat busy trying to remove the socks instead of scratching the wound. The wound is probably itching when its scabbed over. Have you thought of using Benadryl anti-itch cream around the area. Maybe that might help some.

I went to Walmart and bought a Onesie for a premature baby. I had to sew up one side of the bottom of it. It really seem to work my cat no longer scratches on the back of his neck. If the next size is too big put a rubber band around it to make the next size smaller. Thats what I had to do.

Anonymous

I went to Walmart and bought a Onesie for a premature baby. I had to sew up one side of the bottom of it. It really seem to work my cat no longer scratches on the back of his neck.

If the next size is too big put a rubber band around it to make the next size smaller. Thats what I had to do.

I am concerned that your cat may have an infection. It would be a good idea to rule that out with a trip to the vet. An infected wound will cause the hair to fall out around it, especially if it is a scratch form another cat. It is unusual for a cat to keep scratching a simple healing wound. Wounds from another cat are almost guaranteed to get infected. If it is an infection you dont want it to spread. Your Vet can bandage it so she cant keep scratching it. Good Luck!

Hello,
It sounds like you cat has a bite wound. Please take her to the Veterinarian so your Dr.

can prescribe antibiotics and give you an E-Collar. Bite wounds are very serious. This is an abscess that needs to be treated ASAP! God luck.

This young kitten was bitten by another cat. She ended up with 4 staples an e-coller. She only weighs 2 lbs so the collar is huge on her. I ended up wrapping it with gauze but she is still accessing part of it where she pulled out a staple. Is there something I can put on it to keep her from liking and pulling at it

We fashioned a kitty turtleneck out of an old tube sock with very loose elastic in the cuff. Cut off the sock toe just below the heel or farther down depending on the cat's size.

Cut armholes in on either side of the heel. Pull sock down over the cat's head, get paws and legs through the armholes. Makes it harder to take off. Hope it works!

I have a cat that has a wound right behind his ear on his neck and he won't stop scratching I tried cutting up a tube sock and putting it over his ears and neck and through his feet like a harness but he still manages to get it off and I took him to the vet and they said it wasn't infected but he won't stop messing with it what do I do

We have tried socks as well but haven't cut arm holes for her front legs. My cat has an owie just behind her right ear. She's already been to the vet multiple times and they just recently did a surgery to flush the area clean of any infection, but now she has stitches and she just won't leave the area alone. I can't leave her back foot wrapped up for long because she chews holes in her foot trying to get the wrap off.

I have trimmed her toenails, but they're still lethal...I have a KONG inflatable collar and typically will put a sock on her head with ear holes and then put the KONG over it, but it's still not the perfect solution. They need to make more products for cats specifically, ones that are good for situations where your cat has a wound right behind the ear.

Pets CatsNovember 18, 2010
💘
🍀