Kitchen Safety Tips

Category Food Safety
The home kitchen is one of the most used rooms in your home. It is also a potentially dangerous place. This is a guide about kitchen safety tips.

Aerosol cans of cooking oil should be stored away from high heat sources, such as the grill or stovetop. This is a guide about safely storing aerosol cooking oil cans.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

Vegetable soups kept in the refrigerator will usually last about 3-4 days before they need to be used. This is a guide about how long will vegetable soup keep in the refrigerator?

It is extremely important that you never place a can of spray-on oil on, above, or even near your stove. The heat from the stove top can heat the can and cause it to explode.

I have a question about Envirotex and food safety: I've been lurking on this site for several weeks now, interested in going the Envirotex way for my kitchen counters. Yesterday I finally did it. I ran into a few glitches, fixable ones I hope, but my question isn't about that. It's something I didn't think of until after-the-fact.

How safe is the Envirotex surface? Is it as hygienic as laminate? Will it absorb contaminants? My husband and kids are bad about laying their food directly on the counter tops. Should I be concerned about chemicals leaching into their food? Also, now that I've taken the plunge, what do I clean it with?

Thanks.

By Carol Verhoff from Ohio

Answers

Best Answer

Thanks for looking that up for me, Amuck.

I went to the site you provided and found their customer service number. I talked to Hilary at ETI and she said the Envirotex Lite has a similar bacteria resistance and food safety as laminate, but if it's scratched, then bacteria might become an issue. Knives will indeed cut into it, so always use a cutting board and don't set hot things on it.

It should be cleaned with regular soap and water. I asked her about anti-bacterial sprays such as Lysol. She said used once in a while is okay, but try to use them very sparingly.