Know Your Beneficial Insects

Most of us know ladybugs are just one of a group of insects that are beneficial to the garden. But what about the ladybug in other than the adult stage? I discovered something very interesting.

Earlier this morning, I did some minor pruning to some rose bushes. A few hours later, I returned with candle and lighter in hand, ready to seal off the wounds lest rose cane borers tunnel their way through the stems of my roses.

I saw a critter sitting on top of one of the fresh cuts. It was sucking the juices, and life, from an aphid.

I thought, 'Aha, Just in time. My guess is, once this borer finishes its meal, it will start rasping its way through the heart of this stem and probably kill it'. I hadn't seen a cane borer in years, but it certainly was the right size.

I snapped a couple of pictures and sent one to my ag agent, asking him if this was indeed a cane borer. He quickly replied that this was a larva of the ladybug, and even at the larval stage, was one of the most beneficial insects in the garden.

I replied with my thanks for the info because I was just about to kill the critter. He said, 'No, these are good. You want to keep all of them'.

So, I'm re-familiarizing myself with the appearance of the cane borer. Most are much darker, winged and with antennae, and somewhat resemble a skinny fly. And they can sting! Nothing like a bee sting, but you will know you've been stung.

And of course, the ladybug larva's presence tells me something else. I need to increase the frequency of my insecticide spraying. But then, maybe not. I have seen very few aphids on my roses this year. They are not a problem. So why should I kill the food supply of a very beneficial insect?

(I'm patting myself on the back. I'm so bright. I guess that's why Mama called me 'Son').

You are right! Be modern! And, instead of killing insects, what about attracting them, and birds too?

You will find information about insect hotels also called bug mansions here: https://en.wiki  iki/Insect_hotel and there are plenty of sites on the net to build one yourself. There are one in nearly every famous public parks in Europe and now they are also in private gardens.

Why should you use chemicals dangerous for your health and for valuable pollinators like bees?

Europe is also fighting back the Monsanto's "roundup" and "gaucho" or ''regent'' products which use could lead to the end of the honey bees species.
Monsanto .... does that name ring a bell to you? No ?
Monsanto: the orange agent in the Vietnam war, yes ! it was Monsanto. Giving up chemicals for greener solutions is not just for the bees it is for our health too.

Catherine, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you.

I have several documentaries stored on an external hard drive about the evil deeds of Monsanto. One is, The World According To Monsanto.

https://www.you  ch?v=6nNFmzAOtJI

Another is. 'Patent For A Pig'.

https://www.you  ch?v=pNvWia3dYCE

The average person has no idea what is being done to the only world they have to live in. Monsanto, if left to their own devices would control the world's food supply. No one entity should ever have such power. If they control the food supply, they control the people.

Everyone should see at least these two documentaries. They are scary, but still should be seen.

I've said it before and I will say it again, "If there was a merger between Monsanto and Google, it would be an end to life as we know it on this planet. Every aspect of your life would be under the control of this super monopoly...every bite of food you eat, every breath of air you breathe.

Be informed.

I will have to take your word because that bug looks fierce.. But i will think about this before just killing an unknown bug.

Catherine and likekinds - thank you for this informative information as I was not fully aware of this powerful company and about their "plans" for our future. Yes - our future and everyone around us.

Do read, and have your friends read, this short excerpt from an article published by Global Research News - May 25, 2013

The Monsanto Protection Act, essentially both written by and benefiting Monsanto Corporation, has been signed into law by United States President Barack Obama. The infamous Monsanto Corporation will benefit greatly and directly from the bill, as it essentially gives companies that deal with genetically modified organisms (GMOs) and genetically engineered (GE) seeds immunity to the federal courts, among other things.

The bill states that even if future research shows that GMOs or GE seeds cause significant health problems, cancer, etc, anything, that the federal courts no longer have any power to stop their spread, use, or sales.